Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Main bearings to BSA M22

Someone who knows what main bearings it should be in the engine on bsa m22, think it should be the same as early m20.

email (option): robert_c@hotmail.com

Re: Main bearings to BSA M22

Rob i think they are the same bearings while the cranck cases are different they are smaler Gr. Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

37-38 M22 main bearings are identical to 37-38 M20.
Also includes 39 KJM22, which was just an unsold 38 re-stamped with a K and flogged for a few less quid.
On these motors, both drive side bearings are identical dimensions and only have a circlip between them plus a washer on shaft, no spacer.

The odd M22 is the authentic KM22 (not catalogued) which uses proper 39 crankcases with same size bearings as all 39-63 OHV big singles.

Any info re original spec of authentic KM22 gladly received.

If you need more info I can measure the bearings.
Neale.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Hi Neale, Do you have more info about KM22? What cycle parts were used? KJM22 was 37-38 specs exept colour. I have seen one engine only.

If you do measure up. I can let you know what it cost for a decent branded one.
On here I will do what I can at cost to help the cause ... As it were.

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Rob here is a picture who is not so sharp as i want bud maybe you can do something with itBSA M22 photo M22blok2_zpsb0b733a3.jpg Greating Theo

kalle
Hi Neale, Do you have more info about KM22? What cycle parts were used? KJM22 was 37-38 specs exept colour. I have seen one engine only.

Kalle
I have no more info about KM22, which is why I made the request.

All I know is the major parts appear to be as for KM23, but some of these could also have been changed over the last 74 years.

I have no picture of a complete KM22 and no data for the detail parts such as tank, mudguards etc.

Rob you are looking for this picture it is from my Denisch BSA prospectus of 1939 it is a bit strange because the new type cranckcases where used in 39 while you could buy in 1939 a M22 with is the same as the 37 and 38 ones. photo BSAM221939_zps8ac5c67d.jpg I thinkall was the same bud not the engine and frame numbers Greating. Theo

Hi Kalle

If you need info on the 1939 M22 just drop me E-mail. I have an 1939 M22 sport (twin port upswept exhausts). Let me know what info you are after and I will provide you

Kind regards
Peter

email (option): peter.van.onsem@pandora.be

I have now found out which bearings it should be

Timing Side: Roller bearing BSA Part No 24-722 Hoffmann R325L Size: 0.88 x 2.25 x 0.69 inches (Imperial)

Drive Side: Outer Ball bearing BSA Part No 24-732 Size: 25 x 62 x 17mm (Metric)
Inner Roller bearing BSA Part No 24-724 Hoffmann RMS9 Size 25 x 62 x 17mm (Metric)

There is also a spacer between the 2 drive side bearings Part No 66-1703, and a spring circlip to locate the outer drive side ball bearing 66-1701

email (option): robert_c@hotmail.com

Hi All

Please find pictures of a georgous 1939 M22 currently for sale in Sweden

http://www.britbike.com/m22/index1.html

This one is exactely as mine (exept I have twin port head and different oil tank) Will post some pictures next week - still to much snow around here to take the bike out)

Interesting remark - look to pushrod tunnel - is the new 1939 version (4 screw in place of 2 as on the 1938 model) mine has the same tunnel (I guess this was done to give the bike a more 1939 look). Another interesting item is that my bike has the 1939 cylinder head and rocker box - meaing 2 additional fixing point added to fix the rocker box on the head.

Have a nice WE
Peter

email (option): peter.van.onsem@pandora.be

Who makes the fishtail silencers for this model? Need two of them.

Hi rob.
If your bearing references are correct then the R325L is metric. 25-62-17 same as the ball bearing dimensions but roller bearing style and the RMS9 is an imperial bearing. ( 9 is for 9 eights of an inch ). At 1 1/8 bore, I will check the other dimensions on Monday and post the cost of thm too.
Hope this helps
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Kalle, Theo and Peter,

See pic,
Drive side crankcase from uncatalogued KM22, note the engine number, breather position and main bearing extension which were new features for 1939.

The catalogued 1939 M22's were unsold 1938 JM22's etc which BSA appear to have been re-stamped with a K for 1939 i.e. KJM22, KJM23 etc.

It is the proper KM22 which I seek specification information for, they are very rare, possibly only 4 survive worldwide, to my knowledge none of them are intact.

The big lumps appear to be as for 1939 KM23, but the correct spec tank, mudguards etc are a mystery.

Neale

Hello.

There was a petrol tank in same basket with this KM22 engine. '39 type with screw on cap but wthout instrument panel. Could this be from KM22

Almost anything is possible, however:
When you say "screw on cap", do you mean the early threaded aluminium cap (like 39 oil cap), or the wing nut cap?

Does the tank have provision for badges?
Does the tank have provision for fuel balance pipe at front?
One or two tap outlets?

It was like any other '39 civil tank minus panel I don't remember so well taps and connecting pipe. Cap is not threaded and not wd type also. With two lips on the tank if you know what I mean. Have to take closer look next time.

I have im my shed an old tank who can not be repaird at the moment bud it is a M20 one with hand gear change with a tank pannel where if you like olso have a picture of it and not as my M22 tank who was deeper for an OHV engine So the old tank is a M20 one I think Gr Theo photo 100_2686_zps7e1804e8.jpg

Here a picture of the underside of my M22 1937 you see it is deeper  photo 100_2684_zps7ca40273.jpg Gr. Theo

Engine KM22.124 was despatched on 17 April 1939 to Bennett & Wood at Solihull and was in frame number KMxx.4758 (not from the KM20, KM23 or KJM19 series so possibly KM22). It had foot change and a single down pipe.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Hi Leon.

Can you tell same for KM22 190 engine?

Kalle

KM20.1468
Engine KM22.124 was despatched on 17 April 1939 to Bennett & Wood at Solihull and was in frame number KMxx.4758 (not from the KM20, KM23 or KJM19 series so possibly KM22). It had foot change and a single down pipe.

Regards,
Leon

Bennett & Wood in Sydney were the New South Wales BSA distributors, presumably they had a shipping agency in Solihul.

Leon, what are the despatch details for engines KM22.125 and KM22.190???

Neale,

I made a typing error it should have been KM22.125 instead of 124 (despatched to Gothenberg).

KM22.190 was fitted to frame KMxx.4789 (again not KJM19, KM23 or KM20 series) and had 2 upswept exhaust pipes and was despatched on 18 August 1939 to the Red Sxxx Society Ltd. London.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Thank you Leon

Neale

Still want to find out who makes those fishtail silencers. Armours?

Douglas I suggest you email Pete at Armours with your request on sales@armoursltd.co.uk or quite probably Peter Long at Cornucopia makes them on info@cornucopia-enterprises.de

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1