Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hallite ??

Hi all, I thought i would devote some time today to making a new crankcase/chaincase joint washer as I believe they should be thicker than normal gasket card. The M20/21 parts book says "Hallite". I googled Hallite and it seems to be a seal manufacturer. Could someone shed some light on this please. What do people make this joint washer from and how thick should it be. Thanks.

email (option): michaelggilbert@btinternet.com

Re: Hallite ??

Hi Mike..'Hallite' is the name commonly used for the sheet gasket material, though that may just be an incorrect but generally used term.....If you go onto e bay (all categories) and put in 'gasket material' some suitable sheets will come up.(oil and water resistant gasket material).....The gasket you are talking about is a fairly thick one...I haven't measured one but I would guess at .030"-.040" (.75-1.00 mm)....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hallite is a defunct trade name.
Almost any oil proof gasket material will do.
The most common replacement material down here is either Klingerit or Garlock garseal.
Gaskets can be bought from Russel motors either NOS or pattern.
The thickness is totally irrelevant unless you make it so thick that the chain fouls on the chaincase or the rear footrest spacer falls short of the back of the chaincase

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I'm just fitting my primary chain case and the gasket is 0.85mm thick.
I'm also using Hylomar either side to help seal.
I've been meaning to do this for a couple of weeks now but just kept finding things that stopped me. Today I'm happy after checking and double checking that once fitted, then hopefully this will not need to come off again.
Tomorrow is D-day so will post pictures once done.
Julian

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Great stuff, I now know what to get. I think I'll give ebay a try,if I get a sheet i can make a few. Thankyou.

email (option): michaelggilbert@btinternet.com

Try googling Klingerite

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Nieuwe pagina 1