Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Number plates and short numbers on front guards or petrol tanks

On the third picture, is that man straightening the wheel with an axe or has he had just enough of the mag pinion slipping?

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Ozzy workmanship!

I'm with Patrick, more interested in the fact that a guy is steadying the wheel while another is swinging an axe at it!

Hi Folks,
The 5 digit Aust. ID number i have on my m20 is taken off a photo of an m20 in war time Western Australia. The photo i sent to Henk a couple of years ago and it sometimes appears on the web site. Is there any photo`s of war bikes in Aust with C numbers??
Did they only use 5 digit numbers ??

cheers DAVE.J

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

Dave
This is an issue which has interested me for some time
As every photo I have down loaded from the AWM of a motorcycle in Australia either has the 5 digit number or no number on the Tank but every motorcycle in an overseas theatre has the contract number on the Tank but not the Asset number. its an issue I wanted to pursue in the research centre at the AWM when I was there recently but unfortunately I ran out of time preparing for my visit to the western front later this year so it will have to wait until I am next there unless someone knows the answer? I have seen some discussion on a site called Anzac Steel supporting this I have not been able to confirm the theory.

email (option): Grumpy.moran@gmail.com

HiRon,
it is very interesting, because they usually followed the British lead.
Unless this was to seperate O/S from home war bikes, ie using the 5 digit number in Aust only?
Dave.
PS I will email some photo`s i have direct to you.

email (option): jamfam@dragnet.com.au

Hi All
My WM 20 has NZ.16097 hand signwritten on each side of the front mudguard. You can clearly see the brush strokes. It also has writing on the tank but I havent got down through the layers of rough black paint yet and some of the top of the tank is rusty. The front mudguard had the rough black paint too and the numbers appeard as I sanded it back. The bike has matching numbers including the contract plate and I think it must have been in the NZ Army. Am currently trying to get info on it from the guys who collect military vehicles here.
Best wishes
Doug W

email (option): watsond@xnet.co.nz

Dave
Each motorcycle taken on charge by the Australian Army would have had a Asset number but this looks like it was not transferred to the tank in overseas theatres and I can't be definite why those used in Country did not use the contract number on the tank of the Photographic evidence suggests that the Asset number (5 figure numerical code) was used on the tank in some cases although this is by no means universal indeed you see more home based machines with no identifying number like I said its an issue I would like to get to the bottom off but it would seem if your trying to represent a machine used in Australia then either the Asset number or no number is correct for machines used in the Middle East theatre then an appropriate contract number would be the go as for the south eastern Asia theatre I have no idea. But I will do some research when I have a moment.

the caveat to all this it is based solely on Photographic Evidence only and may very well be completely wrong

Re: Number plates and short numbers on front guards or petrol tanks - see photo

There are several interesting things in these photos 1 the top color photo shows the flag on the handlebars being the red ensign of Australia consistent with a similar flag passed on to me by my late father a souvenir of his service in Northern Territory at the time of the Japanese air raids the blue ensign currently used Did not become the official national flag until after the war ended .
In the bottom photo the group appear to be trying to straighten the frond end of the motorcycle using the only available tools being the pioneer tools available on a truck and the axe is the closest to a hammer suggesting it was being one somewhere on the Track rather than in a workshop environment great photos

would the asset number be like a registration number to identify vehicles which were involved in accidents /incidents which wouldnt be needed abroard during the war are they trying to straighten the forks as the other bikes forks dont look that straight you knod your head and i will hit it mate

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Patrick Meagher
On the third picture, is that man straightening the wheel with an axe or has he had just enough of the mag pinion slipping?

Havent you seen the way the Assies use a tyre lever before?

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

roger
would the asset number be like a registration number to identify vehicles which were involved in accidents /incidents which wouldnt be needed abroard during the war are they trying to straighten the forks as the other bikes forks dont look that straight you knod your head and i will hit it mate

Exactly but it was also used to track service history &maintenance history in much the same way that the regimental number traced a soldiers history but it would appear that this could not be done with the C number alone as these are not unique to each vehicle?

Nieuwe pagina 1