Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
M20 earthing problem

Hi Guys, I have a 1947 M20...not WD I know but I ride it like one if that helps !!!. I have had some electrical problems and took the battery off to discover that both the earth and supply leads were earthing.
I reckon that I will have to undo all the electrical items to discover the location of the fault but wondered this.
Can the magnadyno go wrong and cause a permanent earth ?
I am hoping that this is not the case as it could be expensive.
Any ideas.

Cheers
Gavin

email (option): percy1962@hotmail.co.uk

Re: M20 earthing problem

Gavin I suspect you just have a cable chafed through somewhere. There are quite a few sharp edges where this can happen, especially inside the headlamp and were the cables enter at the back of the switch panel. I would start by removing the headlamp rim and reflector and the switch panel and inspect each cable. Sometimes they can pop out of the switch or ammeter and earth inside the headlamp shell. After that, remove the tank and check the cables there. Basically there are only a few permanently live cables. Those are the two that go too and fro the ammeter from your regulator and battery. The only other two that I can think of are your horn and brake light lives. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Re: M20 earthing problem

Cheers for that. I figure that this is the most likely cause but knowing my luck it will be the last item that I undo that is at fault.
I will see how it goes and no doubt be back for more.
Gavin

email (option): percy1962@hotmail.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1