Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rear mudguard.

Over the weekend I've been getting to know my M20s rear end.
When I removed the mudguard I noticed the lower section has suffered some damage over the years, its low ground clearance doesn't help.
I'm considering welding on a small piece of M/Steel and drilling a new hole for the fixing bracket, but could do with some help
Has anyone got a mudguard removed that could post a few photos to help also the distance from the centre of bottom hole to BTM of mudguard. Maybe it only needs a few small welds and reprinted?
Leon posted some photos of his rear mudguard back in Oct last year, but they don't show the detail I'm looking for.
There's also some suggestions in the past of a close-up photo section being added to the site, that would be very usefull for the likes of me.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Oh another item I'm a little curious about in this photo is the fixing bracket towards the rear frame forging. My guess is its the rear fixing lug for the previous sidecar?

Can someone confirm this.

DamianC.

email (option): damian153@hotmail.co.uk

Re: Rear mudguard.

Damian, it seems from your pictures that you can distinguish the original edge of the guard and the original hole, especially from the inside. I would simply repair the edge where it is. You have a reference for the bottom hole anyway by bolting the saddle clamp to the top hole.
That is indeed a side-car fitting on your rear frame. Has your front frame down tube got a side-car lug just below the petrol tank? Could be a rare frame you have. Not a great number of these produced during the war, and mostly for the RAF. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron- thanks for the info for my mudguard repair, that sound exactly what i was thinking but I just wanted to be sure.
My frame does have the sidecar loop on the front down tube, but my M20 is 1947 so it not a rare war frame. I posted some info of my M20 a few months ago about if possibly being an AA M20. So with the sidecar loops attached it could well be an ex AA bike then.

email (option): damian153@hotmail.co.uk

Ah! OK on that Damian. I know that the post war side-car frames had the rear lug on both sides (for export use). I guess they still hadn't got round to that in 1947. AA sounds feasible. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1