Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
No dating evidence.

Hi all, I thought i should get my V5C ammended to show my bike's date of manufacture 1944 as well as its reg date 1967 to take advantage of the no MOT law, so i sent off a BSAOC dating cert my V5C and a covering letter explaining what i wanted and why. I received a reply saying they needed an extract from the appropriate Glass's Check book or an extract from the manufacturer/factory records. There followed a heated telephone conversation where i told her that the info on the BSAOC cert was exactly that. Now they've written to me again saying that since the new MOT law they no longer except owners club dating certs as proof. I have tried to google Glass's Check Book but i can't find anything i can use and i don't know how to access factory records except via the owners club dating cert. If anyone has overcome this problem PLEASE tell me how you did it. Thanks, Mike.

email (option): michaelggilbert@btinternet.com

Re: No dating evidence.

Try going to the LVLO if you have one still, most people that go there tend to get the problems sorted, of the people I know have had no problems at all.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Just got my matchless registered they did that on a dating letter from the ajs matchless club.I went on monday and got the reg number and tax disk on the thursday four days for the whole thing not bad .

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Mike, I've sent you an e-mail.

I suspect that they've introduced stricter rules for the MOT thing than for obtaining an age-related number as they don't want to be bombarded with fake 'pre-1960' applications for every Morris Minor and Series Land Rover ever made.

They probably didn't even think of girder forked wartime motorcycles.

My friend just registered his Harley WLA about 4 days ago, using just the dating letter. Maybe the person that dealt with you had PMT !!

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

The DVLA will accept club dating certificates for registering a bike...but not for amending its stated date of manufacture. Bizarrely if your bike is not registered a club dating certificate will get you a V5C with a wartime date of manufacture, but won't get you one if your bike is already registered with the incorrect date stated in your current V5C....Only at the DVLA...I'm unsure where to get Glass's Guide information or production records that the DVLA will acccept...which is a pain as I have the same problem with my M20.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Glass's customer service dept. can be contacted at customer@glass.co.uk I'll mail them tomorrow for advice..Ian

If a bike was say 1943 but was not registered till 1965 will it still need an mot

Thanks for the response all, I am glad it isn't just me Ian. Rik, I will try customer@glass first as they do say Glass,s Check Book. If I draw a blank I'll contact you. Thanks.

Stephen, This is the exact problem I've got, if all they've got is the first civilian reg date then yes i think i will need a MOT.

O yes its me been a bit thick my friend has a m20 dont know the year war time anyway but it was registered in the sixties and he has to have an mot.

Hi Stephen..Are you saying your friend has been unable to get his V5C changed because he cannot provide (find) the required information to get the date of manufacture altered..or hasn't he tried that?...Ian

Yes he tried but could not get it changed because it was registered after 1960.I would not be to worried because with an mot you are on the right side of the law .What will happen when one of us god forbid is involved in an accident with one of these mot exempt bikes.

I have overcome this problem in the past by supplying the DVLA with dating certificate from the VMCC together with a covering letter explaining the reasons for incorrect date of existing reistration...i.e. initially reistered either at release from the mod or not registered when manufactered.
Can't say whether I have just been lucky or whether I dealt with someone at the DVLA demonstrating that rare commodity common sense...hopefully it was the latter.
Might also have been something to do with the surname Mike .....it's a good one!!!
Give it a go!!

email (option): g.gilbert946@btinternet.com

This ridiculous ruling by DVLA regarding not accepting a dating letter to change a previously registered vehicle can be overcome by simply re-registering the vehicle as a fresh barn find. It's a pain I know but it's one way of not letting the bastards grind you down. After which, your old document can be sent back as a scrapped or exported vehicle.
Having said all that. I'm sure I've read recently that DVLA are excepting dating letters for this purpose. As is typical with DVLA the staff each have their own interpretation of the rules. Believe me I know!! I've fought with them before and in my case I win by getting all 'Ginger' with them.

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

This is getting more complicated by the minute just had a look at my 1941 g3l logbook it wasnt registered till 1989 but i dont need an m o t because i have just got it taxed. But i may have found the problem for some peaple. It is down as a historic vehicle but i have a 2007 honda and it is in taxation class bicycle .If this is not the case i am a bit lost and i think they are to.

Ron, Are you COMING out, (all ginger)

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Just about to send off my stuff to the DVLA For My USA import BSA M20, got dating letter from IMPS coming, I think having read all this, I will swan Down to maidstone with the paperwork and try to sort to it out on the day,What happens when the DVLA close the local offices.!! not done this for a while so hoping no problems, should I take the bike with me ?, andrew.h

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

The local DVLA offices seem to vary in whether they want to see a bike or not.

My local, Worcester, told me that DVLA inspects EVERY vehicle presented for registration. Quite untrue, as one of the club was was in the Nottingham office the week after me and they didn't bother.

I took my bike and paperwork to Worcester. They refused to look at the bike and offered me an "appointment" in 3 weeks, telling me it was "policy" to not process paperwork and inspections on the same day.
I took it back in 3 weeks for a 2 minute glance at the frame/engine number.

You can send your paperwork in, apparantly, and get it processed and then issued an appointment. However, given the forms of ID required (license, passport, birth certificate) then would you chance them losing them all??

Worcester did not know what happens with inspections, after they close.
Our club dating officer/archivist doesn't either.
My advice; get your bike registered before they do close ....

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Hi Stephen....The DVLA data base records date of registration and date of manufacture. My M20 is recorded as 1968 in both cases so is not MOT exempt..
If the date of manufacture in your logbook is say, 1942, then the date of registration is irrelevant, as date of manufacture determines eligibility for MOT exemption, not date of registration....
If your Matchless logbook, or the DVLA database, show a date of manufacture after 1 Jan 1960 then you may have a problem, or rather an error may have been committed....Historic Vehicle status applies to vehicles manufactured up to 1972, so would not get you MOT exemption...
You need to take another look at your V5C...
Ron...I wouldn't really want to re register my 'F' plate M20 to get an MOT exemption...this was the number it was issued with on release from the Army and, historically is it's 'correct' registration. If I can't change the date of manufacture I guess I'll have to stick with an MOT each year..Ian

Ian is right, all the MOT exempt bikes I've got have been registered more recently. My 16H was registered in 2010 but manufactured 1941. No MOT required, I only need an insurance document to get my free road tax.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

A word for Andrew....the man at DVLA Maidstone is the same chap that caters for vehicle inspections at Brighton....very helpfull & keen on good old british bikes....also has a soft spot for tractors (ah well) he did come out to inspect vehicles at one time sadly no longer tho...you have to take bike to him....you still have to put paperwork in first tho & wait for appointment
good luck

email (option): g.gilbert946@btinternet.com

Your right Ian i just looked at my logbook date of manufacture is 1941 registration 1989 .The one that i just got registered inside a week i might add with no inspection i did take four very clear pictures with me. Insurance and looking a bit dim try to be cocky and your finished. Any how its 1949 manufacture on the new logbook registered 2013

Hi All, I might have been worrying unnecessarily, I've just taxed my M21 (1957) at the post office. The woman asked me for the MOT, I pointed to the words on the reminder that say that if it was manufactured before 1960 it does'nt need an MOT, said its 1957 and she gave me the road tax without me needing to proove it. Maybe it will work the same for the WM20.

I taxed one online back in November just 2 hours after the new rules applied & the bike was registered 2005 & declared manufactured 1935 & no probs at all.
I would be extremely surprised if you had trouble with a 1957 registered bike.
I thought this was all about bikes with no reference on the reg documents to being manufactured before 1960

(not sure if cut off point is 7th or 14th Jan 1960 but either way some "give" is there to account for a Christmas backlog of 1959 built machines that had to be registered after the holidays, same as they give for "Historic tax" vehicles).

Hi Fred...You wouldn't have a problem with one declared manufactured in 1935!...The problem is about bikes which were first registered after 1960, also have that date of registration as the date of manufacture in the DVLA database and don't have a note on the V5C 'special notes' section stating thier original date of manufacture...
My M20 was registered in 1968..has 1968 as a date of manufacture in the DVLA database and doesn't have any information to the contrary in the 'special notes' section...so no MOT exemption until that information is changed....
There's no way of 'blagging' that...it just doesn't qualify....
The only question is what documentation is acceptable to the DVLA to get them to modify their database and the V5C, to note the actual date of manufacture, and where that information can be sourced....Date of registration is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT and has no bearing on the qualification for MOT exemption..it is ONLY about the date of manufacture recorded in the DVLA database and confirmed for practical purposes by an entry in the V5C..Date of manufacture details currently held by DVLA can be found by going onto the DVLA website and putting in a 'vehicle' enquiry' for your bike...Ian

Ian, maybe an extract from the factory ledgers that Henk/Jan/Rik/Lex are so good at looking up? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ian, I'm fully aware of the fact its all about date of manufacture, I think you interpreted my post wrong, I was pointing out that a 57 REGISTERED bike is OBVIOUSLY a pre 60 manufacturered bike & therefore won't be a problem.

I honestly thought the whole issue of pre 60 bikes that were registered post 60 had been solved by the DVLA saying that where a manufacturer no longer exists a dating certificate is good enough, that sounded sensible but maybe they realised it could be abused.

Mike Gilbert
Hi All, I might have been worrying unnecessarily, I've just taxed my M21 (1957) at the post office. The woman asked me for the MOT, I pointed to the words on the reminder that say that if it was manufactured before 1960 it does'nt need an MOT, said its 1957 and she gave me the road tax without me needing to proove it. Maybe it will work the same for the WM20.

Be very careful here if it does need an mot you will not be insured.

My bike was registered in 1968, and there was no special notes on the V5 about the year of manufacture, just a line saying 'previously used by the government'.
I obtained a letter from the BSA OC stating that it was part of a contract started in 1944 and completed in 1945.
I presented this with the V5 at my local DVLA centre. The guy there said as it did show a definate year of manufacture he would not change my existing V5 or issue an age related plate. He told me to do more reserch to find an exact year of manufacture if I wanted the V5 changed to obtain MOT exemption. As far as he was concerned it case closed and he wanted me to go away.
He then left the office for a break for lunch/toilet or something.
As soon as he had left a woman at the next desk who had overheard the coversation called me to her desk and said he was just being bloody minded, that as being as the registration number being issued had no value, she nominally enterd 1945 as the year of manfucture and completed to process there and then

Which shows to me that your in the control of the individual who is dealing with you and the outcome depends on their interpretation and the mood they are in.

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

Hey Guys,
I checked my bikes today, the Dads Army G3L registered in 1967 has now declared manufactured date in the special notes. I don't suppose it was too important in the sixties.
I suppose I will just have to keep testing it as normal.
I must admit I'm not too bothered about having to do this as I think its worth having an independant eye check over my hady work.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

Did anyone get any where with sorting out there year of manufacture? I to have got an m20 that was declared registered/manufactured in 1967, but is actually a 1945 bike, I think I am going to get a dating certificate and go see the local office (ipswich) and see what they say, hopefully I get I helpful person that will change it!!

email (option): t-watts1@hotmail.co.uk

remember the driving licence motorcycle bit going missing no mattter how much you sent paper work and phoned nothing happed or they said they couldnt do anything about it to sort it was go directly to swansea and it was usualy sorted that day

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

this just shows we're in the hands of whoever you speak to;
my triumph TR6P was shown manufctured in 1976, but armed with a letter from vmcc i went to the local vro in Truro, and they changed it to show 1972..and gave me a new age related plate to go with it...

email (option): chris.astinbarker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1