Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Magneto bearing removal

I have a spare lucas m01magneto I'm rebuilding and need to ask if there is an easy method of removing the outer bearing race in the main body, the one which is deeply recessed

Is it as simple as applying heat/ warming the casing up & tapping it out with a soft mallet

Can't see how I could use a puller to get it out

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Re: Magneto bearing removal

They aren't usually too tight in there as usually the paper insualting washers will have degraded, the "official" tool is a bent piece of flat bar or square bar with a flattened end and just tap it out from the outside of the body. You may have to radius the end a little to fit the race, the bend must be about 70-80 degrees. It would probably be made a little easier by using a heat gun on it to expand the casing a little bit

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Hi John, when you put the new one in, bend the gasket fingers up over the bearing then crease each one so it's a close fit to it. You need to make sure the case is hot so it slides in easily otherwise you'll cut the gasket fingers off putting the bearing in.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I had a lot of trouble with my WD/CO at one point and it turned out that this paper gasket had more or less disintegrated, causing the bearing to be loose and the armature was sort of flaying about. The main purpose of this finger gasket is to insulate the bearing from being an earthing point for the armature as this can cause damage to the bearing by arking. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi John,

A little trick that can be useful in many applications like this where a bearing outer ring is stuck in place is as follows:

1) Run a weld, as quickly as you can, around the centreline of the inner ring to be removed. A complete weld, all the way round.

2) Go and have a brew

3) when you return, turn the housing upside down and the ring will fall out without any hammering.

The weld goes on red hot, then shrinks as it cools. This takes the stuck ring with it and you get it out without the risk of bashing the casting to bits!

Don't beleive me ??
Try it.

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Hi John,

You can also drill 2 small holes in the body (from the gearside) through which you can tap out the bearing with a small punch.

I had a modern magnet loosing its magnetism when heated up, don't know how much the Lucas magnet can stand, it may be no problem but I will not try if I don't have to.

Good luck, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Thanks folks

Some great tips here

Many thanks

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1