Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best material for fork bushes

I am about to rebuild a set of girders for my next project and as usual all bushes are shot.The link spindles are easily done have done several now but was thinking of a longer lasting material for making up the bushes.Last time I rebuilt a pair of forks I sourced bushes that were a near fit then machined them to suit.This time I was thinking there must be a alternative! anyone tried polyurethane type bushes same material as fitted to land rovers and other 4x4s, I can also source plenty of nylon as my mate machines a lot of this stuff and always has offcuts spare..I seem to remember Ron had oilite type bushes fitted that wore out quickly.Also if using poly / nylon bushes what type of lubrication would suit or maybe just stick to LG2 phosphor bronze tube as its easy to machine and lasts reasonably well.. well just a long as original bushes and that aint long Dave..

Re: Best material for fork bushes

Hi Dave...Google 'Vesconite Bushes'....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi,Ian thanks I have had a look! seems like it is used mostly by marine engineers as I live on the coast will check out local engineers for source.Also looks easy to machine. I want to make bushes top hat style so I can have a spacer between forks & links not metal to metal.Another thing I would like to try is a coil over damper to replace the main spring maybe from a trail / mountain bike as this bike will not be a original spec machine and with the state of our roads feel a extra damper could be a good thing. Dave.

Hi dave

Two things really. Polyurethane is a no go. Won't last. Much better option is to google Igus. They are a firm who make a massive range of plastic industrial bushes. There are many materials to go through and you can order online.

Failing that, if you are going to use phosphor bronze. Try to get LPB1 grade. It is perfect for the job and with a little oil every so often will outlast cheaper grades by far.

Any problems, drop me a line

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

How about turctite? It is perfect for bushings.

Hi Kevin,

If I am not mistaken, Turcite is a graphite filled PTFE, usually used in strip form and cut to fill a slot in a piston for linear travel. It mainly stops the piston touching the cylinder in hydraulic rams. I have seen it used on slideways also but again this is a flat material. I don't recall having seen it in block form to machine, but if you could get it, then I am sure it would wear well.

The Igus bushes have many similar materials in ready made sizes, so even if they are too thin a wall, you could easily use them to line a worn phosphor bronze bush and get the best of both worlds.

But I would be interested if you do get some Turcite to see how it machines and how well it wears.

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Just a thought.
The bushes need to be softer than the pins or you will wear the pins before the bushes.

Next I would go for 85-5-5-5 , Leaded Gunmetal which from memory ( bound to be wrong ) is LG4
I use Gardshaft as I can get it in a lot of sizes as thick walled tube ( makes machining easy ) .
Leaded guns are self lubricating if you forget the occasional squirt of grease .

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Thanks for all the info but would like to know if anyone has tried a alternative to original bushes and how they performed.I agree the bushes need to be softer than the pins so maybe leaded bronze?.I remember a well known BSA A10 engineers supplying solid bronze timing side bushes that wore out the crank journals I actually bought one but didnt use it and found a old stock ALPHA type lead bronze bush with a steel cage (same set-up as original BSA type) and used this on my plunger A10.. maybe a steel bush with a liner would also work on girders..Dave

Nieuwe pagina 1