Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: At the end of my tether - 1939 M21

What I found helped was another pair of hands. One person got the points in the right position BTDC and held the points still by hand. The other person then tapped the mag pinion on using a light tap of a hammer and a suitably sized socket. Finally, the lock nut was tightened, but careful use of a very large screw driver was used to lock all the gearing in place.

I used a bent over nail to mark TDC and 7/16th BTDC, though make sure the point of the nail is filed smooth so as not to damage the piston.

I also put the bike in gear and knocked the wheel backwards and forwards to get the correct settings on the nail.

It did take me several goes to get it almost right.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Symptoms as described can sometimes result from the magneto shaft moving in the armature.
In Magdynos and other "road model" Lucas mags the steel shaft is pressed into the brass end of armature, some competition and all aircraft mags have an integral shaft, usually made from non-magnetic stainless steel.

Prior abuses, such as using a hammer to fit the pinion to taper, can result in shaft loosening (and bearing damage).

If shaft is really loose you may be able to rotate the armature by using your fingers on the points assembly.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

patrick i had visions of your mag ending on the other side of your workshop when you friend hit it with a hammer

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Setting the timing accurately & then everything moving when tightening is frustrating & amature threads that are not free running can also hinder.

I found a fix that works for me.

I set the timing with a SPRING washer only under the nut, When the nut is tightened the spring washer holds everything in place by creating increasing resistance. when fully tightened & the timing checked I simply undo the nut & replace the spring washer with the correct one.
Nothing will change as the tapers should stay locked.

(if it doesnt stay locked while you swap the washers over, the tapers need attention as they alone hold the joint from turning, all the nut does is to stop the pinion coming off).

I had to grind off a mm from back of timing pinion because it was meeting magdyno bearing before tapers lock it.

Kalle

To stop the pinion sliping sprinkle just a little bit of chalk dust,baby powder on the shaft. When you do the nut up it locks the two parts together and they will never slip.

email (option): bbeyer1@optusnet.com.au

Listen to Kalle. Had to do it myself.

Nieuwe pagina 1