Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Carb Query

My bike is running very lean and suspect air leaks or a blockage some where.

Can I remove the brass inside section from the body of the carb to make sure everything is clean. If so how do I do it? It looks like it should push out by tapping a piece of wood down the top, though I don't want to force anything.

Thanks in advance.

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Re: Carb Query

Yes Pat. I usually use a hammer shaft or bit of broom handle as a drift. Sometimes they are very tight and I immerse the body in boiling water first to help expand it. When you look down the flange end of the body, there is a tiny pin hole which sometimes becomes blocked with crud. A bristle from a wire brush is best to poke it clean, and check the corresponding drilling in the brass jet block.....and blow out all other drilling's etc. While you're there you should check the flange is true and not warped. It's quite easy to rectify with a flat plate and some 240 wet and dry. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Patrick, the brass section can be removed by tapping down as you say but it can be easly distorted. Best to get it sonic cleaned, if you do remove by tapping turn a section of wood so it just fits into the body of the carb and try to tap it down, you could try warming the alloy boby first. If it comes out you will find a small drilling for the pilot jet this could be blocked. If you cannot get any responce from the pilot screw this could be the problem.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

check the mounting flange is not warped check with a straight edge if not bad another gasket might do it

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Thanks guys. I think I will leave the brass bit where it is as the flange of the carb is really warped and I think this is where air is getting in.

Kind regards

Pat

the flange is the bit that connects the carb to the cylinder head with 2 holes in it for the stud to come through and a washer and nut to hold it onto the cylinder head

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

A wrong size nut can also give a wrong mixture. For a sidevale you need the lowest, at least for a BSA.

Henk

Wrong nut photo IMG_9407.jpg

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

My nut looks more like the middle one.

I will see if I can get the shorter one.

Kind regards

Pat

I have been riding around with the wrong nut on my 1942 M20 for a pretty long time and had overheating problems all the time especially during the warmer period of the year. It took me a long time to figure out that it was this part that needed to be replaced.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1