Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum Picture

How versatile! You can even use them for ploughing.

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

Re: Forum Picture

That front wheel is nearly invisible...The whole bike should be done like that...(and the rider).. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

During MEE testing, the Triumph 3SW in particular came in for a lot of criticism due to the front wheel blocking in the mudguard. They felt this could be helped by reducing the wheel to 19".

All the other machines also had problems but they didn't seem to regard it as a particular problem. It was very evident that the pre-war tests were all undertaken on the Surrey / Hampshire border and the ability to cross sand was considered more important.

It's nigh-on impossible to ride with the wheel locked like that and it could all have been avoided by a higher-mounted guard. It doesn't have to be moto-cross style to help.

I spoke to a Burma veteran who said there was a monsoon for half the year and they just took off the mudguards and threw them away...otherwise they weren't going anywhere...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

You often see old photos of WW1 motorcycles in the mud of northern France running around minus their front mudguards for this very reason.

So the H stood for Haymaker not Home market?

Iain B
So the H stood for Haymaker not Home market?

Typical comment from a colonial !

During the 1920s, Norton's sturdy high ground clearance machine was the Model 17 C (Colonial)...Wouldn't it be strange if they'd kept the same system ? We'd be riding WD17Cs; as that's what they actually are !

My old 1929 L29 BSA Sloper had an oversize front mudgaurd which i was told was a 'Colonial Gaurd' and was fitted to export machines. In saying that,i never saw another one on any other Bsa down here,(NZ)

email (option): Fuzzyempire@hotmail.com

I did that once on my 16H. Went to a reenactment, the rain came down, and roads became very think and heavy with mud. After a time the motorbike just becomes furniture along the roadside. I especially liked the first comment of this thread because I have always felt that the Norton felt like a piece of farm equipment! How versatile. You can even use them for plowing..... Now that's funny!

email (option): wingco40@hotmail.com

on this forum there has been a photo of a bike with just a flat piece of steel as a front mudguard whether it was made for this mud problem or couldnt get a replacement not sure

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Nieuwe pagina 1