The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: gearbox oil seal

Hi

I have heard of people packing the gearbox with liquid grease to prevent this.

Any one tried this?

Kind regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

I wouldn't recommend that personally. The BSA box is designed to operate with oil, not grease and anecdotal evidence from other forum members confirms my suspicions that the grease will not reach all the areas that require lubrication...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Ian Wright
I wouldn't recommend that personally. The BSA box is designed to operate with oil, not grease and anecdotal evidence from other forum members confirms my suspicions that the grease will not reach all the areas that require lubrication...Ian

It depends on how much you use your bike.
If you do long rides the the box gets hot enough to melt the grease sufficiently to get into all the right places.
If you do short trips or long trips in short legs ( one hour or less in the saddle ) then the grease will not get hot enough to do its job and it will be curtins for the layshaft bush, layshaft fork and the sleeve gear bush.

I used grease in mine when I rode it at least every two weeks and we usually did long rides oft with spels of 200 km or more. Even better was I had to keep in contact with the A10 & A 65 riders so the box got worked hard.

For the last few years it had only done a couple of short runs each year and a couple of rallys ( ABR & BSA Nat ) neither of which have a lot of long rides. So now I have a rebuild job to do replacing all of the above mentioned parts + bearings.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Nieuwe pagina 1