Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Wheel spindle query

Could it have been to stop the not so bright home mechanic from using a rival firms spindle,or a long bolt from the scrap bin.If only the proper BSA spindle fitted then it,s a trip down to the BSA spares dept.$$$.

email (option): smarwick@iprimus.com.au

I reckon simple answer is if the l/h clamp was not tightened then the spindle would remain threaded into r/h fork slider as front wheel rotation is the same as l/h threaded spindle... Dave

Exactly

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

Yes, the thinking is plain enough...It strikes me as pointless though...The spindle screws up against a shoulder (which will lock the thread) and has a clamp bolt....It seems very unlikely it would come undone even with a R.H. thread.
And they could have arranged things so it screwed in fom the other side, so any force exerted would then have tightened a R.H. Thread...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I don't know modern bikes at all but Japanese stuff in the 1970s always used castellated nuts and a split pin on wheel spindles. It was an MOT failure if the pins weren't fitted.

However, I don't recall anything English (and certainly not my Nortons) having anything more than a shouldered nut and they passed the test quite happily so it could only be the case that any originally fitted had to be in place but why does a wheel spindle nut have to be locked anyway ?

Wheel nuts on cars don't have any positive location and they're spinning round.

Rolls Royce fits left hand wheel nuts on one side & right hand on the other.

Modern wheel nuts have a taper on the end which actually clamps on to the wheel stud as it is tightened.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

twin wheel transit and most commercial vehicles have lefthand threads on the nearside wheels so they will stay done up via the rotation of the wheels rather undo if they were righthand threads

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Chrysler cars also used this system. Many broken wheel studs due to ignorance of this fact!

Ha Ha. A bloke in our local MVT who shall remain nameless (Colin Harrison) had him and his fat mate jumping on a scaffold tube extension to his wheel brace on his Dodge weapons carrier trying to undo the N/S wheel nuts. He actually fitted another tyre with the wheel still attached to the vehicle. I could not believe that he hadn't worked that one out....Stupid boy....but I like him!

My Tilly also has left hand threads on the N/S. Strange that most cars don't?

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1