The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Valve collets

Hi Neale

Thanks for this. As I have removed the barrel, what is the best way to tighten down the one difficult nut that holds the barrel to the crank cases. I cannot seem to get a socket on it or a spanner. Do I grind/flat a good spanner?

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Kind regards

Pat

email (option): sacombsashtrees@hotmail.com

A good quality ring spanner has always worked for me.

Do you have the correct nuts?

The correct nuts are reduced hex and slightly taller, "normal" nuts won't permit the use of a ring spanner.

There are many old bike situations where the use of sockets is impossible, when these things were first conceived, the socket had not been invented, let alone in widespread use.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Hi

Yes correct nuts. Maybe my ring spanner is too long.

Kind regards

Pat

Yes I always manage it with a combination spanner, by little nips and sometimes by tipping the spanner up to the widest gap further up the mag to get enough turn to get the spanner on for the next bite. BSA actually made a special cranked spanner for the job. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks Ron.

The M20 collets do look odd when fitted if you are used to OHV engines. In the past the exhaust valve and seat in particular needed fairly regular attention and with the barrel in place on the cases there wasn't the benefit of gravity when it came to replacing the collets...So it was all to aid replacement in that particular circumstance..I have to admit when in short supply for OHV motors I have removed the M20 'extensions' and converted them for use in those types....Ian

email (option): Ian@wright52.plus.com

Thanks Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1