Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Primary chain size

I must be missing something obvious. I decided to replace my primary chain (it seems to have a lot of play, no idea what the history is on it, figured a replacement is a good idea while I'm doing some other chaincase work). I've got a 19 tooth engine sprocket, 43 tooth Triumph pre-unit clutch/basket, and my current chain is a size 428 with 34 links. That's 33 side plates (plus the master), or 34 pairs of inner and outer plates if you prefer, so 68 total rollers. I can't for the life of me figure out how the spec is for a 95 link front chain???? The size 428 chain I've been running seemed a good fit, but now I'm stumped as to what replacement chain to use. Is the old way of counting "links" actually counting rollers maybe? I'm still way off though. Any tips much appreciated!

Craig

Re: Primary chain size

Hi Craig..Your chain is the right size..but check again where ever it is you are getting the link numbers..A rear chain is around 95 depending on sprockets and a primary is around the figure you are quoting (again depending on sprockets used...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Ian,

based on the standard gearing both the primary and drive chain use half links at 69 and 95 links respectively. This is why Craig is confused because he is only counting complete links since he has an even number of rollers his chain is not using any half links.

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Thanks for the clarification guys, that makes me feel a little less crazy. My gearbox was pulled forward fairly far too, so that might have been to account for the missing half link whenever the current chain was installed.

And for what it's worth, I got the 95 links from the maintenance manual, right up front it says "primary chain - 95 links." Either way, I can now comfortably go forth with a replacement 428 chain. Thanks again.

Craig

Nieuwe pagina 1