Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dull chrome plating...again

I still don't have a company I can use that does dull chrome plating to the correct finish and a good standard... I have wasted a fair bit of cash dealing with companies who say they can though...
Has anyone here used Jacksons Plating for this finish who can post a clear picture of the finish?...Alternatively can anyone post a clear picture of the finish achieved by any other plating company?.
What I am after is the correct finish that looks like silver paint...not one that is 'something like it' and achieved using 'satinizing' soaps, blasting or any other method apart from a traditional plating process...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Dull chrome plating...again

Hi Ian,
As far as I know Hockley polishing (01702 614067) in Southend are the pnly people who still do proper dull chrome (as opposed to unpolished bright chrome).
Having said that, I'm sure Ron knows of someone.
The only pic of their work I have to hand is on my Norton-
Photobucket
The plating is still as good as it was five years ago when they did it.
The dull chrome on my M20 was done twenty odd years ago now, and thats still good.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

I also need a good plating company to do the bits on my 16H. This is the company Mick suggested:

http://www.hockleyelectroplaters.co.uk/cms/home

Anyone else here used them?

The parts on my M20 were done by a company in Kent, but I dont remember
their name or address.

Reg

Hinrik

email (option): hsteinsson28@hotmail.com

Well after a big search, and spending money for rubbish I finally found a good company in Holland, no use to Ian, but maybe to others?

Its called Galvame and it's in Rotterdam:

http://www.galvame.nl/

Not cheap, but good quality.

But I do a lot of the prep work myself, removing burrs etc. polishing, and finally a very fine beadblast, and then off to the platers, and ready in about a week usually.

Have noticed that with original Norton hardware and parts, there is a fine "ground" surface, that I have not been able to replicate (yet) this gives it the matt finish, but beadblasting after polishing works just as good or better.

My 2 cents,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Ian,would you compare the finish to the same that is on a micrometer body?
if so it is termed '' pearl finish'' .Hard chrome as opposed to decorative chrome
usually has a grey matt finish as applied,then is usually ground or polished to the required finish.let me do a bit of digging ,there may be one or two firms up this end could perhaps do a sample.
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I would not want to recommend anyone from my experiences. But I have had some success with Hockley. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Rick..'Camera finish' was the name frequently used for it in the old days as it was commonly used in that application. It is a 'decorative' chrome finish and not a functional 'hard chrome' finish as used on fork legs etc. etc...that is much thicker..The photos posted by Lex are a fair representation of the finish..Ian

Lex, are the screws now plated and generally available ?

Rich
Lex, are the screws now plated and generally available ?

No, not really, the cost of plating was too high to have hundreds done, (also the fact B4's used a lot of them, more then 40 on one bike! left me with a lot less than first calculated) and am waiting for the longer "pins" (as Norton called them) to be finished, then I'll have one more batch done, so contact me offlist, and let me know what you exactly need.

Am absolutely broke the last 4 months, so cannot put up any money for extravagant things!!

Cheers,

Lex

Hi Lex, I'm struggling to see where you would use 40+ of these on a Norton Big4 sidecar body, or are they used on the bike as well?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Yes Rob they are on the bike as well. The mudguards for instance. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Very interesting, I was under the impression that Swallow made the sidecar bodies for the big4, I wonder if this proves that they were delivered to the Norton factory without any of the metalwork fitted or would these special bolts have been sent from the Norton factory to Swallow?

And do 16Hs also use these bolts?

Rob

Rob Miller

And do 16Hs also use these bolts?

Rob

Yes they do! Have found some of these on the mudguards etc. on my 16H.

email (option): ferrarakias@hotmail.com

Firstly, sorry Ian for hijacking your thread

I've been looking at big4 spares lists, it would appear that the sidecar body bolts were 1/4 whit and the Norton bike bolts were 1/4 BSCy (26tpi), so Swallow probably did put the metalwork on the sidecar body.

Also some of the Norton bike bolts mention a washer which I assume would have to be separate from the nut or you would damage the paint when you did them up? There also seem to be quite a few different part numbers mentioned for bolts that have the same dimensions.

I'm also assuming some of the bolts on the sidecar body were painted after they were fitted?

Rob

Stop doing it then..Bloody Nortons..mumble, mumble.. ...Ian

These elegantly beautiful Norton bolts and nuts with the integral washers are a Norton trademark and go way back into the 1920's, must have cost a fortune to make then, as they do now.

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Detailing was affordable when labour was dirt cheap..just look at the uneccessary detailing on the old acetylene lights or BSA engine plates, where each stud had only one nut and the other end had a key in the shaft that fitted into a slot in the engine plate...so just one spanner was needed. That sort of thing had to go as labour costs rose...Norton were just slow to change as always....Ian

email (option): Ian Wright

Rob Miller
Firstly, sorry Ian for hijacking your thread

I've been looking at big4 spares lists, it would appear that the sidecar body bolts were 1/4 whit and the Norton bike bolts were 1/4 BSCy (26tpi), so Swallow probably did put the metalwork on the sidecar body.

Also some of the Norton bike bolts mention a washer which I assume would have to be separate from the nut or you would damage the paint when you did them up? There also seem to be quite a few different part numbers mentioned for bolts that have the same dimensions.

I'm also assuming some of the bolts on the sidecar body were painted after they were fitted?

Rob

Well Ian, you started the "Matt Chrome" part, only normal Nortons will be mentiones after that!

Rob, ofcourse I have extensively studied this subject, the parts lists, and the original pictures, and can tell you, only the rear grabhandles (so 4 pieces, grabhandles were matt chromed also btw.) were fitted with the special 1/4" BSC or BSF (same) bolts, pins ot whatever, then 6 (early) or 4 (late) on the sidecar mudguard, and if you fit the bren clips (early) you need another 4! These bolts show clearly on the pictures I have.

The rest of them goes on the bike, can send list if you want. Never implied anywhere that 40 were used on the sidecar!

And then all this may not apply to later Nortons, B4 or 16H, I think after late 1940 normal nuts and bolts were used, no more matt chrome but cad plating (Ron has a good address for that) and even later for the 16H's just plain painted hardware.

Cheers,

Lex

Has anyone here tried the do-it-yourself plating kits which are available? Caswell seams like an interesting option to me. See:

http://www.caswellplating.com/

Reg

Hinrik

email (option): hsteinsson28@hotmail.com

I did try home plating, the kit I bought was called something like "copycad", It wasn't that succesful and it wasn't real Cadmium, just a nickel alloy.

Rob

Hi Hinrik

I have just bought a plating kit with the passivate to leave a drab olive green finish. It will be a month or two before I get to use it, but I will post the results on here when I do.
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

ian it always puzzled me why they used studding ie a nut on either end on the engine to frame mounting when a long bolt would do if there was a problem with the way a nut and bolt pulled up surely they could have put the bolts in from alternate sides even a late enfield i have still uses studding

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I suspect studs and nuts are cheaper than bolts. To machine bolts from hexagon barstock wastes a lot of the more expensive hex. bar...particularly for longer length bolts...Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1