Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MOT exemption.

The old V112 form for taxing a vehicle that is MOT exempt has now been updated and is available from post offices that retax vehicles. I picked one up this morning and it is extremely straight forward to fill out with a section specifically for pre 1960 vehicles...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: MOT exemption.

I got my Brockhouse Corgi back on the road the other day. It's not been on the road since 2000, the restoration is now finished and I applied for a tax disc on line, no MOT required, five days later it was here and now I can ride around the town like a pea on a pumpkin any time I like!! I got told off for not having it on a SORN for the full period, but apart form that it was all very simple. It seems that either on line or by V112 form, it's easy enough, were we all really all worried about nothing?

Sorry to hijack this post but my questions are on MOT exemption.I am now at a stage where I need to register a rebuilt bike which has no paperwork.I have a dating certificate, also insurance based on frame number but do I need to MOT it as it is a 1959 BSA so is MOT exempt ??. DVLA have sent me in circles with the phone calls I have made and I wondered if anyone has registered their bike which is MOT exempt. cheers Dave.

Are you being optimistic Bill? Did you mean a Pumpkin on a Pea?

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

You shouldn't (theoretically) need an MOT certificate if your bike is 1959 as everything manufactured before Jan 1960 is exempt under the new rules and your dating certificate is accepted by the DVLA as sufficient proof of age for the purposes of registration.
However, there is a clear 'Catch 22' here...Your dating certificate is sufficient to obtain a registration and after you have obtained that you would have a V5C with a 1959 date of manufacture shown...so you would be MOT exempt from that point on.
However, at the time of the application for registration you don't have proof of date of manufacture which satisfies the requirement for MOT exemption. For THAT DVLA have stated a dating certificate is not acceptable as proof of date of manufacture and they will only accept details from the manufacturers production records.
So I would think you will need a copy of the BSA production record, as well as a dating certificate, to go along with your application if you want to prove to DVLA the bike is eligible for MOT exempt status at the point of registration.. I would check that DVLA will accept this as a substitute for an MOT certificate before going ahead though. Alternatively you can provide an MOT certificate which serves no purpose really, other than to satisfy the DVLA at time of application for a registration.
My M20 is already registered but it's date of manufacture is in the DVLA record as the same date as its date of registration.(1968)...I therefore don't get an MOT exemption without a change to my V5C to reflect the correct date of manufacture and for THAT the DVLA will only accept production record material as proof of age...NOT a conventional dating certificate...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Trust you to spot that one Ron! I don't need your help to make myself look silly, I can manage that quite well by myself!!

Hi,Ian thanks for your input. I have had a look at the dating certificate it is a BSA owners club one and states
I can confirm that this machine is a A10 super rocket despatched to BSA inc USA on the 20th febuary 1958 (thought it was 59) also says information given in this certificate is taken from the BSA factory despatch department records where they are available,dates quoted can therefore can be taken as the date of manufacture.. So looks like game on.But I,ll leave phone calls till next week when DVLA staff have fully recovered....Dave

Dont bother with the phone take everything you have to your local dvla office

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

The trouble is that the buggers are closing all the local DVLA offices down to save money and 'streamline' the process!!

so you will need the manufactures records to proove the bikes age what happens if there no production records for your make of bike does this mean not MOT excemption then

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

I think the only way round that scenario Roger. Would be to dump your old V5C as though you are scrapping the vehicle. Then re-register it as a fresh barn find with a club dating letter and probably an MOT for the initial registration. After that it should be MOT exempt.......Sounds daft Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Roger, I've just been in this situation with a friends bike. DVLA told us that if the manufacturer still exists in it's original form you have to have a copy of the factory records. If not, a dating letter from an owners club will be fine.
The bike we registered was a Suzuki and DVLA said Suzuki have never change the company name so is therefore the same company that made my mates bike in the 70's. It cost £90 for a letter from Suzuki and the letter from the Jap Vintage owners club DVLA wouldn't accept. DVLA said if it had been a Kawasaki or Yami the owners club letter would have been fine because those companies has changed over the years, so therefore don't exist in there original form..!
Crazy...! But we got the bike registered ok
So an owners club dating letter will be fine for any old British bike as the companies don't exist any more. Then if the bike is pre 1960 you wont need an MOT, just the letter and Insurance.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Nieuwe pagina 1