Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Another Frame Lug Querie

The below photo shows if you look carefully a lug circled in Red that has a 5/16" x 26TPI female thread tapped in it, was this lug used for assembly in the factory and is it best blanked off with a bolt or am I missing something?
Photobucket

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Re: Another Frame Lug Querie

I've just seen on some photos of some Nortons that a plate links the forks to the frame using this lug, I never had a plate there originally and can't see it listed in any parts lists or drawings, so is this also something that has been removed over time?

hi julian,thats the anchor for the steering dampner,if you look in the parts for sale section ,there is a stripped forks which shows some of the parts
hope this helps
cheers rick
ps, just looked back through some of your earlier posts and photos,i cant see a dampner knob evident.
i believe this was omitted for one year ,so you will have to wait for confirmation

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Thanks Rik, I also don't have a hole in my steering headset cap that I've seen other M20's using, so I think my bike must of been of that year they removed the steering dampner knob?
I guess that explains why I also have the lug but nothing was ever attached as it was the same as the forks that just used generic parts but revised the design around what was already there.

Acording to the spares lists contract S1048 still had the damper fitted and contract S2603 didn't, which would mean that all M20s prior to frame number WM20 96817 would have had it fitted in the factory and all those after 96818 wouldn't.

Of coarse the lists may not be that accurate but all the photos I can find do agree.

But during service life some early bikes would have had them removed and some later bikes added.

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi rob

My bike - 107738 comes from S5205 and has the side damper only

My friends bike - 107799 only has a side damper like mine

As this is the last big contract of the war, maybe it had gone by then as a cost cutting measure ?

Best regards

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

That answers it perfectly Rob as my frame and engine numbers are 122534.
Happy new year.

email (option): 79Aust@sky.com

Nieuwe pagina 1