Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Norton Domi 88 - Completely off topic!

Hi,

Ron mentioned to me (sorry Ron - namedropping!) that some of you forum folk have post-war Nortons - I'm looking for some input w.r.t. my 1954 Dominator 88 that I'm busy assembling from boxes.

In 1954 Norton put an 8 inch front hub on the Domi. The parts book (1955) shows a spacer (plate R, part no. 8) which is not actually listed in the 1954 supplementary parts list or in the 1955 parts list. The 88 went to a full-width hub in '55, but the Domi 7 stayed with the half-width hub and had the same arrangement as the '54 88.

The part is shown in the 1949-50 Model 7 parts list (plate R, item 8 again!) and described as "Front hub spindle distance piece".

The same diagram is used in the 1954 Maintenance Manual & Instruction Book - the spacer being clearly evident.

Now if any knowledgeable bloke could let me know:

1) was this part actually deployed in 1954?
2) if so, what are the dimentions of this spacer?

Appreciate any comment. Cheers,

Bruce

email (option): brucekirby@telkomsa.net

Re: Norton Domi 88 - Completely off topic!

Hi Bruce, Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, is this the brake diagram you're talking about..?

Photobucket

If so, plate R in the 1949 parts book I've got is the half width 7" plate with the steal brake plate, hence it has the spacer. This spacer is 1/2" thick and about the same diameter as the fork leg lug. This brake wasn't fitted to a 54 bike, but if it's the one you've got that's the size.

Photobucket

The 8" half width plate doesn't have a spacer as the ally brake plate fits up against the fork leg.

Photobucket

There's an obvious difference in the brake sizes between this 1949 and '52 ES2. I kept the bike with the really crap brake

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Horror - thanks for the response.

This is indeed the spacer that I'm referring to. I'll send you a photo of my brakeplate via PM - only because it's easier than loading pictures on the forum!

In '54 the hub was increased to 8 inches - but if I'm correct, what you're saying is that the brakeplate was different to the '49 Model 7?

I haven't tried mounting he forks on the machine yet, so I can't check the gap.

But it's interesting that the same diagram is used in the '54 maintenance manual and the '55 parts list.

I do like your machines - I can see why folk get hooked on Norteons! Wasn't there a beer called Hook Norton?

Cheers,

Bruce

Hi Bruce, Thanks for the pictures, that has the makings of a fantastic original early Dommie with the bolt up frame The brake you have is correct 8" half width with ally brake plate like the one on my 52 bike, therefore it has no spacer. As you say, the 8" brake came in in 54 so I can only assume that the earlier brake set-up is also pictured in the 54 & 55 manuals to cover the earlier models, like the 850 Commando manual also covers the earlier 750.

Good luck with it, I'd be interested in it's progress

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

hi Bruce,Hook Norton brewery,good stuff
www.hooky.co.uk.
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Rick,

I seem to recall that many years ago when I was running a Laverda triple, a chap by the name of Pete Roberts spent a year in South Africa helping out the local importers.
I'm sure it was Pete who told me about Hook Norton - he used to wax lyrical about the Falkland Arms in Great Tew. I know he had links with Cropredy Motorcycles and Slater Brothers, but I lost track of him many years ago.

But the beer has stood the test of time!

Cheers,

Bruce

Nieuwe pagina 1