Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wading Again

I was interested in the maximum depth of water an M20 will wade. This is quite topical here in Somerset. Today I had to cross an old Packhorse bridge to avoid a torrent covering the ford. Did it get a mention in any BSA or Army literature? Also would the later and lower timing cover breather make the wading depth less? I saw a photo of an OHC Norton up to the barrel studs in mud and water on a trial.
Seasons Greetings and keep up the Miles

Cheers Pat

Re: Wading Again

The IWM 'Army Motorcycling' film shows a group preparing Nortons for crossing a ford. After waterproofing the mag points and HT lead, they were OK with the exhaust under water as long as the power was kept on.

The main concern would be keeping water out of the carb or hitting an underwater obstacle.

I've always found stream bed sections quite difficult as the water distorts the distance and I usually fell off at about the third boulder. Con rods don't like non-compressible water in the combustion chamber.

Much as I enjoy riding through ford roads and the like I do wake up at night with visions of my hubs filling with water and thoughts of the gap around the gearbox mainshaft at the back of the clutch casing...and then there's the breather pipe, horn, and speedo drive to worry about...and the mag of course.. ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Not a good time for the engine to cut out...!

Photobucket

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

I think that guys been looking at www.wetroads.co.uk. I've found a couple of easily passable fords near where I live on that website.

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1