Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Front Girder Forks

Can anyone help please, I noticed when stripping down my bike that the front right lug was used for guiding the front brake cable down to the hub, on closer inspection as seen in my photos the lug is threaded, what should go into this lug as the thread will probably eat away at a new brake the cable if left?
Photobucket
Photobucket

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Re: Front Girder Forks

The tread is there for the pre-war brake rod. Please don't carry a spare spark plug with you there, just put the brake cable through that hole.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

And there was I thinking All Wheel Drive?
Thanks Henk.

As Henk said that lug is for the pre war brake rod and therefore I run my brake cable past it to the inside near the mudguard......I also do not carry a spare plug there. Strange that the thread is a 14mm plug thread??

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I've got an M14 Spark Plug tap but think I will leave this lug sealed with the powder coat inside and will just use it as I've seen so many other bikes on the internet as a brake cable guide, was tempted to make a brass bush to go inside but probably best left.

Many thanks,

Julian

I have a bike with the front brake rod set up but i also have a bike with the cable run, i do run the cable through that hole & i made a small rubber "cotton reel" bush to fit with a hole through it for the cable, i cut through one side of the rubber bush so it goes over the cable & then slides down into that threaded hole where it firmly grips the cable in position.

Now that's an idea, like the logic to that as I think the threaded hole is to sharp for the cable outer to vibrate in.
All I need to source now is a bit of rubber and a very sharp tool to turn a cotton reel profile.

hi julian,what about a door stop from your local hardware,stick it on a peg and turn away
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Anything from thick walled rubber pipe to old car engine mountings or exhaust hangers get used for that kind of thing. i "waist" bush by holding it on threaded rod (with double nuts each side) in a drill, turning slowly then bring in toward a fast spinning abrasive wheel. like ...the bench grinding wheel or a grinderette held in a vice with a new wheel that that has nice square profile.

I've never been able to work out why you would carry a spare plug outside where it is being hit by rain and mud from the road, I suppose it is handy in case you need to change it in a hurry, but if your plug spanner is safely tucked away in your dry toolbox you aren't saving much time, so why not keep them together?

Is it possible this threaded lug is actually for striping down and cleaning your old style multi piece spark plug? didn't some pre war BSAs have a spanner incorporated in the forks for that purpose?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

were or are the sparkplugs that fragile that you need to replace that regularly?

I don't think so Rob. You wouldn't have wanted to strip your brake rod down just to screw a plug in it for cleaning. As you say, some bikes had the hex spanner hole in the forks for undoing the two part plug. Some also had this hex hole on the rear carrier.
Also I wasn't aware that you carry a spare plug. You told me that the one in your bike had done well enough for the last 10 years. Ron

PS. I don't think BSA put the cable through that lug. Always the exception of course

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

I do carry a spark plug in the lug on the forks of my M33, it gives people something to talk about, the end of the plug is shielded by the lug so doesn't seem to rust.

I think the thread in the fork is 9/16" x 20 BSC, which is very close to the sparkplug thread M14 x 1.5 but has no relation, I suppose.

Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

By the earley Giderforks like the slooper one are the two holes drilled an you can make the rear brake olso working with the front However i nevver saw it on pre war M20 M22 etc.and post war M20 or other ones maybe Henk can clear it out .Gr Theo

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

I tend to keep a plug in the fork leg & a plug spanner easily accessible in the tool box

This makes a change easy to undertake if required

At one point my bike was eating plugs, particularly after a long continous run, change the plug & it would start again, hopefully my newly rebuilt magneto will eliminate this

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Michiel
which is very close to the sparkplug thread M14 x 1.5 but has no relation, I suppose.

Correction on above: Sparkplug thread is M14 x 1.25 . Sorry

Regards, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Ron Pier

PS. I don't think BSA put the cable through that lug. Always the exception of course

Well i can't resist pointing out that pre war M20 had the cable going through that lug ( although only the inner)
but yes I'm sure "non rod" models never had the cable through it, but i find it convenient & it stops people asking what its for.

I'm fairly sure the strange habit of putting a spark plug in it derived from passed down stories of the oldler girders with sparkplug dismantling hex hole in the forks (or headlight bracket on some) & someone casualty saying in a pub there's a "place" for spark plugs on the forks ... or similar & on inspection of an m20 with no hex assuming the spare threaded hole was the place for storing it. its certainly a fantastic place if your preference is for a plug that's kept nice & damp.

My querie is this: if this lug should of been used for the brake rod, would mine be original with the brake rod or did the latter models (as mine is 1945) have the cable as a revision?

Hi Julian..The (partially) rod operated brake was only fitted on early wartime models and was soon replaced, but the lug was left on the forks and still machined.. This was probably done so forks remained suitable for all years when it came to replacement...Yours had the cable operated brake as original fitment..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1