Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drive chains

Is it worth fitting O ring chains,?just about to buy a rear chain for my WNG, at long last now on last knockings,It takes me years what Ron and Ian do in weeks!!Andrew.h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Re: Drive chains

Andrew, I think the problem for us with the O ring chains, is that they are wider than the standard chain. On some bikes it's bad enough trying to get the chain to miss the back of the clutch case and upper and lower chain guards.

My friends son is adamant that he is going to fit a toothed belt to the rear of his ES2 cafe racer. I'll be watching with interest!

Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Andrew, You mean what Ron does in weeks ...I take years as well.. ...The O ring chains are good but you have to be sure you have enough width for them around the gearbox sprocket etc. as they are considerably wider than the original Renolds chain. (which is itself narrower than Japanese non O ring chain that uses thicker but cheaper materials to achieve a similar result)...
On the BSA for example it's not difficult to wear a slot right through the back of the inner primary cover as the chain goes round...Also you will still need to apply some lube for the sprockets...
I use Regina chains which I consider to be more or less equivalent to Reynolds but cheaper...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

There's an echo in here.. ...Ian

If the chain is worn out the front and rear sprocket will need replacing as well or you will need another new chain in no time.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

That may be the case...but unlike Japanese sprockets, British ones will outlast a number of chains...in fact a lot of chains. However, everything wears out in the end....Ian

Both sprockets OK, Old chain was rusty,and possibly recoverble as not worn out. but new one is going on, The O ring chains are as you both say wider,and I have never tried before, I thought it might be worth a punt,so its back to renolds type chains and will try Ians recomendation, just need a rear carrier to finish project, Jan may come up with one,andrew,h.

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Andrew hemsley
Both sprockets OK, Old chain was rusty,and possibly recoverble as not worn out. but new one is going on, The O ring chains are as you both say wider,and I have never tried before, I thought it might be worth a punt,so its back to renolds type chains and will try Ians recomendation, just need a rear carrier to finish project, Jan may come up with one,andrew,h.

Andrew, Jan needs some more sizes for the inside leg measurement, if someone has an original G3 or G3L rear carrier, please step forward!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

O-ring chain will kill some of your horses:)

I have used o ring chains on sports bikes and you are not meant to use certain oils on them . I used expensive spray lubes which don't seem to stop the chain from rusting very well. I agree they are very stiff and I don't think racers use them because of the power loss.
Paul

Come on guys, if you use your M20 you will know that oil works its way round under the bike and oil gets on the chain anyway. Direct the engine breather to the gearbox sprocket if its not already their. O ring chains are made for bikes with a lot more power than our 12 or 13 BHP Ms, also as said special oil has to be use so not to contaminate the O ring.
O ring chains are way too wide with the thick links and the O ring, as said it will be too close to the inner primary chain case and will look out of place, you may lose a precious HP turning the thing. As Ian said use Regina or Iwis chains they are the same profile as the original Reynolds and are just as good, also you can get the half or cranked link for them if you need one.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Hi, just to add my two Penney.

The oil does not need to be special for an o ring chain, it is the propellant in the spray that can rot the rubber o rings.

Also, I would not recommend using a crank link, they are a weak point in chains and that's the last thing you need, even with only 13 hp.

Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Nieuwe pagina 1