Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1938 Norton 16h

It seems to me that Bonhams have incorrectly described this 16h as being from 1938. The frame seems to me to be WD one and the frame number would suggest it is from 1943. What do you think? Cheers John

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20924/lot/427/?list_search_query=1&lang=en_us&back_to_year=2003&sale_no=20924&limit=9999&query=norton&create_facets=False&page_anchor=q1_1%3DNorton%26m1%3D1%26b1%3Dlist

Re: 1938 Norton 16h

I don't know about the Norton, but the Goldie caught my eye as it was rebuilt by Robin James Engineering at a cost to the owner of £55,000...gulp.
I could build a pretty trick Goldie for a lot less than that!..Especially as that didn't include the cost of the bike in the first place!..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

There is a guy here in Holland with a Gold Star collection he is planning to sell. Lots of nice bikes.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi John,

I like this Norton much more....
http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20924/lot/463/?page_anchor=MR1_page_lots%3D7%26r1%3D10%26m1%3D1

and the 3 Vincents are very welcome too!

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Ian Wright
I don't know about the Norton, but the Goldie caught my eye as it was rebuilt by Robin James Engineering at a cost to the owner of £55,000...gulp.
I could build a pretty trick Goldie for a lot less than that!..Especially as that didn't include the cost of the bike in the first place!..Ian

Yes Ian, but this one has an electric starter and a restamped engine number!!

Where did they put the starter??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Underneath and between the engine and gearbox is where it is I think with these conversions. If it has restamped crankcases they prtobably started off life as humble B31/33 'wide flange' cases which are often used to 'reconstruct' Goldies...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Henk,

Is Pieter going to sell off his Gold Stars?

Regards,
Leon

email (option): leonhop3@planet.nl

Yes he is and there are quite a few very nice bikes in his shed.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hello John,

As far as I can see definitly not a 1938 machine.
It even seems to me to have a W before the frame number so its 1943/44.

Its gross to see that even a firm like Bonhams make these easily rectifiable mistakes. Its all about the money apparently.

Buyers have their own responsibility to know what they buy, but I feel its a bit criminal to advertise incorrectly now that the information is readily available.

Best wishes for 2013

Rob

email (option): wd16H@telfort.nl

Nieuwe pagina 1