Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Anyone using their bikes in this wet weather?

I havn't been riding the M20 in this torrential rain over the last couple of weeks (i have resorted to the Yamaha) I wondered if anyone on here has been riding their old machines and how the ignition/electrical systems are coping with all the sideways rain, flooded roads etc. etc. Mick.

Re: Anyone using their bikes in this wet weather?

Hi Mick...I've been riding my B33..I haven't prepared it any more than usual..ie a snug fitting, Vaselined points cover and pick up. It hasn't missed a beat yet. Though I haven't been through anything deep enough to actually submerge the mag it has had a good soaking....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I've just done the same as Ian and lathered some Vaseline around the vulnerable parts of the mag and the old Matchless hasn't missed a beat, in fact weirdly, it seems to run differently in the rain, perhaps a bit smoother, I can't quite describe it? Any reason for this or just delusions brought on by being so cold and wet?

Hi Ian/Bill, Glad to hear your both getting around without problems.You have inspired me to vaseline up the mag,and give it a try.I'll put the japanese one back in the garage.Mick.

"lathered some Vaseline around the vulnerable parts"
Bill it's a well know fact that some damp air going in with the fuel does seem to make and engine run better. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Here's what most of the lanes look like round here at the moment..with some worse and some better...but all wet!.I took this pic. about 30 minutes ago!....IanPhotobucket

ron didnt they (who they are i dont know) experiment with steam injection years ago to make engines more powerful and run smoother

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

Hi bill

You are probably not wrong, cooler air & humidity will provide the motor with much better quality air than on a hot summers day

I have information in work with precise details on engine power losses in relation to humidity & ambien temperature - when & if we have to test on water, we choose specific times of year to test as associated power losses can be high in some conditions

My bike often runs & feels better in the morning as opposed to the afternoon in the summer, you feel it as you have so little power in the first place

On riding in the rain, like others prepping your bikes mag points cover & pick up with vaseline or a clear sealant and you should be ok - i didnt prep 2 years ago before i went to france & my bikes mag took on water at every opportunity !! I also seal the headight just in case

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

The dampness is inducted into the engine through the lack of a decent filter and as long as it too much it will improve the combustion as you know water contains hydrogen and oxygen, so as it burns it releases both gasses both of which will improve combustion try googling or you tubing HHO technology interesting stuff!! It is a bit like putting water on a chip pan fire, it flares up quite violently.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Cooling the inlet charge also makes it more dense, so for a given volume you get more fuel/air mixture...more mixture, bigger 'bang'....Ian

Just saw your photo Ian, looks like you have a spring tide in down your way !!

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Damn! I thought I'd discovered something new there!! The bike certainly feels different in the rain, I don't think it feels more powerful or any more responsive, but it certainly feels different, perhaps just a bit smoother?

Nieuwe pagina 1