Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Questions regarding wiring/kick start/paint/tyres

Hello everyone,

Slowly getting around to fixing my bike up and the inevitable questions start to arise:

-> the wiring loom is completely useless, a birds nest of scraps of wire and connector blocks. I can easily make something up myself, but I notice there are several places selling ready-made wiring looms. Is it worth buying these? Does it really save some hassle or do you always end up needing to modify them yourself anyway? If I make the wiring loom myself any ideas for something to keep the wires together? Spiral plastic looks wrong on an old bike, and electricians tape eventually goes sticky or comes undone. Heat shrink the lot? Any tips? Incidentally some of the bits of wire that came off were threaded through lengths of old garden hose pipe, the black ribbed variety. It had completely perished but rather suited the bike.

-> getting my forks back from Jake Robbins Vintage Engineering after Christmas. They will be coated in rust-proofer but not primed or painted. It seems a bit silly to stove enamel them and then put them back on a bike that is otherwise unrestored. Any suggestions for how to paint them in a way that will protect them but not look out of place? What would the original finish have been?

-> I noticed that the kickshaft bush in the outer gearbox casing is badly worn, to the extent that you can wiggle the shaft about about in the casing with about 1mm of play. It this something to replace immediately before everything gets out of line and something breaks? Or do "they all do that" and worry about it later?

-> The tyres are need replacing. In my youth I would have used Avon Speedmasters/ Safety Mileage (aka Skidmasters). What do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

email (option): Andy.haxby@gmail.com

Re: Questions regarding wiring/kick start/paint/tyres

With regards to the paint I've tried loads of different types of paint and they all seem to be pretty poor with regards to their ability to adhere to the primer (bring back lead in paint!) At the moment I'm using some of the Jeeparts paint on a Harley which although it isn't that durable in that it is no better or worse than any of the others, but it is easy to apply and more importantly to touch up. Try googling Jeeparts UK, they don't have any listed, but they do have it in stock, so you may have to email them. They do various shades, but I think you'll need the dark olive drab
The wiring was never taped, but if you want to tape it you should use self amalgating tape which is available from Maplins in the UK
As for the tyres it appears that Mitas do a period looking tyre or another alternative would be the Dunlop K70, use 3.50's front and rear instead of the 3.25 they originally reccommended for the front
Dave

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Andy,
I used black cloth tape which is used on modern wiring harnes's (i beleive its supposed to "breath" and not retain moisture) Not authentic i know,but i think it looks o.k. Lots of it listed on e-bay.
As Dave said the Mitas tyres are an option.I fitted a pair to my "Desert" WM20 and i'm more than happy with them. Good luck,Mick.

Wiring: I think this has been discussed before. Originally a kind of rubber tube was used to contain the wiring, and the smallest available race bicycle inner tube would do.

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Hi Andy

I have been speaking to a firm in Tottington, near Bury. The can do the wiring in a black woven cover which although not 'correct' looks great for the period.

What is more though, is that if you buy the standard wire from them, tape up a loom, and then send it back to them, they will cover the loom with the woven fabric finish at very little cost. They also sell the little rubber rings that are coloured and go over the end of the wires to identify as per the drawings.

The firm is called Electrical Engineering Services, tel/fax 01204 884383.
They seem really good to talk to and I will be ordering all my kit from them.

Hope this helps you
Darren

email (option): dwrudd@lineone.net

Thanks for all the suggestions - inspiration suitably provided.

I think I'm going to re-wire it myself, and thread the wires through old bicycle innertubes. In keeping with the general appreance of the bike and a great way to utilise one of the thousands of abandoned bikes that litter the Netherlands. If it doesn't work or look right then I know where to go next. Was the original wiring tube ribbed? If so I need to go and route through my rubbish real quick before a fragment of history gets thrown away - I thought it was old garden hosepipe!

Paint and tyre options being investigated, thanks for suggestions.

Gearbox kickstart bush???? On any modern machine I'd be thinking "this is completely knackered" but on an M20? What happens if I ignore significant wear? Just dribble a bit of oil or am I liable to break the casing or something?

Cheers,

Hi Andy

I went for a ready-made loom from someone who was recommended on this forum - Paul someone? - and although I'm not sure how authentic it looks, the quality is top-notch, looks lovely with an all-braided finish and worked perfectly.
I fitted Ensign tyres from vintagetyres.com which have performed well and look 'period'.
I also used Jeeparts.co.uk for a dark olive drab and then applied a matt 2K lacquer for durability which looks identical to the standard DOD finish.

If you'd like pics of any or all of the above let me know and ill post a few when I'm back.

Nieuwe pagina 1