Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
clutch grafting BSA Matchless

I'm now in the preliminary build stage of my 41 G3l and am certainly having serious thoughts about clutch availability for AJS/Macthless machines.

Has anyone ever grafted a modern clutch (honda, suzy or kawa)onto a clutch center of a Matchy or other bike with any success?

I believe this is possible as so many modern clutch baskets look an awful lot like the Matchy and BSA clutches.

email (option): Britool51@hotmail.com

Re: clutch grafting BSA Matchless

I know about a Suzuki clutch fitted to a BSA Gold Star, it was in a classic motorcycle magazine some time ago.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

The Suzuki clutch conversion for the BSA uses some Suzuki GS550 and some newly made parts I believe. I have a friend who has one fitted to a pre 65 scrambler and he speaks very highly of the conversion. Many Jap bikes have a gear driven primary side but obviously a chain drive is needed. I would look initially at removing the clutch basket of the Matchless clutch to leave you with just the sprocket, the center that fits to the mainshaft and bearings.
Next look for a Jap clutch that is the right depth to fit in the Matchless cases if mounted to the original sprocket and has a large enough diameter internally to clear the bearings,clutch center etc.. We're not talking massive horsepower so the clutch from a relatively small donor bike might be suitable I would have thought...perhaps a 250?
These are easily removed from the drive gear as the basket is usually rivetted to the gear...
You will have to calculate the overall depth of the clutch assembly when the two parts are matched up. Finally, you'll have to attach the Jap basket to the Matchless sprocket..I would think they could be bolted together using the original rivet holes as a guide and ensuring it is all concentric. You will also have to find a pushrod operated clutch, many are lifted from the outside and don't have a pushrod.
Other considerations are availability of the parts for the Jap clutch you choose, removal of the clutch from the bike, pushrod operation and length, amount of lift relative to space in the Jap clutch basket and pressure plate arrangements for the pushrod to operate against ,arrangements for holding the clutch to the mainshaft if not standard, whether you retain the original bearing set up etc. etc.
Without knowing exactly how the Matchless clutch is laid out or which clutch you might choose as a donor these are really just a few general thoughts on the areas to be sorted out....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Phil Pearson Goldstar does a clutch conversion using a Suzuki GS500 clutch, and one of the argumentative Jocks who sometimes 'contribute' to the forum fitted one to his WM20. A friend of mine put a Bob Newby clutch and belt drive on a Norton ES2 with a dollshead 'box..i should thing someone does something for a Matchless

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

I used a Newby kit on my B33 for a while...It's a really well made kit with a proper solution for the clutch bearing etc. However, there is no shock absorber in the clutch and you lose the one on the crankshaft due to the pulley width. I found this made for a pretty harsh transmission for road use and I removed it in the end. With belt kits you need to consider the width vis a vis the clutch casings on earlier bikes which often have narrow cases, the difficulty of altering gear ratios (which requires a new pulley each time and also the cost. The Newby kit was over £400 quite a few years back...Ian

hi robb,an e-mail to this guy may be helpful,he does all the clutch parts for triumph bsa norton and can inter change parts to suit every taste .he may be able to offer advice etc.the ajs and matchless used a very similar box to the norton,
i think it was reffered to as the amc gearbox so spigots etc may or may not be similar
http://www.motorcyclewebsite.com/tony-hayward
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Finding a centre that is anywhere near the fine splines on the end of the mainshaft would be a pretty big engineering job, I think the Matchless clutch is a nice clutch with no real problems and a pretty good parts supply to go with it. The main problems about getting the bits is that no one really lists them on ebay as they don't tend to fetch too much money for the seller! The other problem is that a lot of the Matchless/Norton clutches are very similar so a lot of ebay sellers aren't really sure what the parts are from if the are just confronted with a couple of clutch parts in a box of unsorted parts. In the UK you can find reasonable clutch parts for as little as £5 per component if you know what you are looking at.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Robb
I would seriously consider sticking with a standard set up. The parts are out there and will turn up.
A properly set up clutch and drive will last most of us till we turn up our toes!!!!
On my Commando the primery sprockets and chain have lasted 40 years and 60,000 miles. Iv also got the single spring clutch on my WM20 working very nicely using all standard parts.
Whereas my Norton model 19 had a Hemmings beltdrive and clutch on it when I bought it which has caused a few problems and still drags a bit despite my best efforts to cure it.

My motto is "standard parts=standard problems=standard solution. None standard=chaos"

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350cc-Clutch-Basket-with-Sprocket-40T-AJS-Matchless-/280596572839?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4154dbeaa7

I can't say I'd follow Peters line of thinking which to me seems very extreme...Rather, I think I'd go with the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'...If you can get spares and the original design is sound and suitable for the way you intend to use a bike there is little reason to modify anything. If that is not the case a well thought out modification can solve the problem and improve on the original set up. Or you may just regard the original machine as a base on which to create your own version of the type.
Some of the problems associated with these old bikes are a consequence of how long ago they were designed and built. For example, the M20 gearbox had no effective oilseal only because the materials and technology weren't available at the time. Not to fit a sealed bearing, which is readily available today and effectively cures the problem would be an odd strategy...
I confess to being a 'serial modifyer'..I am always looking to make what I feel to be improvements. Many of them have been successful, a proportion haven't been and there is no doubt that I have learnt to be very thorough in thinking through all the implications of making changes before taking action.
On 'standard' bikes where there was no intention to modify, this has always been as a result of what I considered to be a real fault or an outdated design feature which could be altered, usually to increase its longevity.
However, if the 'modification' route is followed too much there is the arguement to consider that you may alter the experience of riding your particular old bike to such a degree that you no longer have the real experience of how the machine was when it was produced....
My B33, which has an enlarged engine and numerous other modifications falls squarely into that category I would say...but then I did do 70,000 plus miles on it before I changed it very much and it was never my intention to preserve it unaltered for posterity....Ian

Nieuwe pagina 1