Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Some good news for compulsory Hi-vis in Australia

This was posted on the BSAMOC Here in Victoria Australia today.

This message is from Angus Constable-Townsend who started the petition "The Hon. Terry Mulder MP Minister of Transport,Victoria: STOP the threat of Hi-ViS clothing for motorbikes made compulsory.," which you signed on Change.org.

Hi Everyone,
this news is excellent though it is important that we assist with keeping the pressure on with this petition supporting all the other bodies pushing for a positive result for two wheeled safety........

Just one of 64 suggestions in the 535-page Victorian report, which is also notable for not supporting hi-vis vests or front numberplates

The 18-month Victorian parliamentary inquiry onto motorcycle safety has finally delivered its report, with the Australian Motorcycle Council lauding the document as one which “will be a reference point across Australia in the coming years”. And the report is also notable for what’s not in it: there’s no support for hi-vis vests or front numberplates.

The 535-page report makes 64 suggestions, including:
That the motorcycle safety levy be abolished;
That an independent office of road safety data be created, which will be responsible for collecting, collating, interpreting, and publishing all data relevant to road safety, including motorcycle safety;
That an immediate program to improve inter-agency data cooperation and collaboration on motorcycle crash data be instituted by government agencies;
That VicRoads and the Transport Accident Commission treat off-road motorcycle safety no differently to that of on-road motorcycles;
That VicRoads includes motorcycle specific questions in its licence testing regime and motorcycle safety content in its training syllabus for learner and probationary car licence students;
That the Transport Accident Commission focuses its motorcycle safety advertising on redressing the attitude that responsibility for rider safety is solely attributable to the rider;
That a star rating system for protective clothing, which includes boots, gloves, jackets, pants and armour, be established… and be fully functioning within 36 months of the tabling of this report;
That VicRoads and the Transport Accident Commission investigate ways of improving motorcycle safety through behavioural change programs including changes to the car licence curriculum and road rules so that motorcyclists and the risks posed to them by other road users are highlighted; and
That the benefits and risks of filtering, as distinct for lane splitting, be reviewed with the aim of introducing filtering in Victoria.
"The 18-month inquiry had produced a report that will be a reference point across Australia in the coming years,” said Shaun Lennard, the chairman of the Australian Motorcycle Council.

"I try to avoid clichés, but this report is a game-changer -- not only for Victoria, Australia, and even extending across the OECD and developing countries.

"It has confirmed - but now in an official government report -- a number of the things we have known for many years. The lack of accurate data around motorcycle crashes was recognised at the 2008 Canberra Motorcycle and Scooter Safety Summit -- as is stated in the report. That's four and a half years ago, with little progress.

“The AMC has also been calling for MAIDS -- Motorcycle Accident In-depth Study --- research in Australia, and that’s in the report too.”

Lennard believes one of the most significant recommendations is the abolition of the safety levy, which is an annual charge payable by all motorcyclists.

“We've always held the view that it's unfair to make motorcycle riders pay for road safety improvements, when for all other road users it's provided from general revenue.

“Two things that have had more publicity than they deserved in the past six months do not feature in the report. There's no plan for front numberplates and no plan for high-vis clothing. Let's stop talking about these things now -- they're simply not on the agenda."

The Victorian Government is required to table a response to the report within six months.

Regards Angus Constable-Townsend

email (option): spacemonkeym@gmail.com

Re: Some good news for compulsory Hi-vis in Australia

I was going to sell my bike if that hi vis bullshit came here in Oz! Looks like a reprieve for AWHILE!

The NZ safety wonks are researching the Hi Viz thing at the moment as well, lets hope they read that report.

And the NZ authorities tend to follow what Victoria does!!!
Best wishes to all
Doug W

email (option): watsond @ xnet.co.nz

Hopefully common sense will prevail in the rest of the Southern Hemisphere...I have strong feelings on this like Douglas...I simply will not accept the arguement that the human eye has any more of a problem discerning a motorcycle and rider in the immediate environment than it does all other objects, large and small.. The 'visibility problem' lies in the brain of the observer, not with the object being observed.... ..Fortunately the French Government f****d up the introduction of HI Viz and have shelved the idea for now...That's good news as I am so against compulsion that I was seriously questioning whether I would go to Normandy for 2014. In the UK at the moment there are no plans for compulsion...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1