Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L Fork Clamp Gap.

Hello, This is the maximum I am able to tighten my fork clamps. Looks quite scary to me. Is this OK or what probably is wrong.
Pics attached herewith.
Photobucket

Tavery

email (option): tavery.p@hotmail.com

Re: Matchless G3L Fork Clamp Gap.

Hi, I seem to have the same problem. Is your front axle original stuff? I had to re-manufacture my front axle and so this problem. Can some one please let us know the diameter of the front axle? This would help both me and Tavery.

JM

email (option): johnmatthew04@gmail.com

My original axle mics out at 0.700 inch plus or minus 0.010. When it's in the forks I have a gap of about 0.125 (give or take a few thousands).

I'm looking for better footpegs or a fix for the ones I have. The splines are nearly worn off.

I hope this helps you guys.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Mine is showing a much smaller gap. I don't think I can measure the spindle very easily though. But should be quite simple to turn the end down a bit in a lathe. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Tavery, my clamp is considerably closer to the fork leg than that, to me that doesnt look safe and maybe something assembled incorrectly. Does it locate better by turning the clamp the other way around? are the spacers all in place between drum plate/fork leg. Is the leg a WD version (no drain screw at base and brake cable thread for adjustment on leg at rear)

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Take the front wheel out and remove the brake drum so you can see whats going on then put the wheel back in without the brake drum you should have a full nut plus washer of thread give or take not about two threads like you have now

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Hi Tavery, I encountered the same problem again today. I was tightening the fork clamps when I noticed a hairline crack. I stopped it right there. It happened right in-between the two studs.Did you sort yours out?
Where am I going wronggggggggggggggg?

JM

email (option): johnmatthew04@gmail.com

Hi Tavery, John,

I guess I have a solution for this. Remember, this is only if you have an axle that is not original (I had made mine after I lost the front axle and couldn't get one here in India).
It had a crack in the left leg and it was because the axle was not made to proper specifications. The lathe guy messed it up. All you have to do is to reduce a few mm from the axle to fit the leg. Tightening the fork clamps too much will create pressure in between the two fork studs and will eventually crack in the middle. This worked for me.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Regards
Pratap

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

But what did you do about the cracked leg Pratap? Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron,

The crack was Aluminium welded and this dint help much as there were small air holes. The welder himself advised that I use a special paste, made exclusively for such leaks.It was quite effective.
For the past 2 days I haven’t had a leak, though I did not the ride the bike.
Any tips from your end Ron?

Best Regards
Pratap

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Nieuwe pagina 1