Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BSA WM20 first ride report.

Hi all,

After a relatively short hunt I bought my 1940 WM20 back in September. Although it had been 'restored' by a previous owner prior to being put into storage I took this with a pinch of salt knowing that there would be work to do to get it how I wanted.

Frame number WM29437, contract C7287. C4346029. WD reg no. 09 YD 14. Disposed 09/01/69.

Being keen to get out on my new acquisition I gave it the once over, oil, tyre pressure etc and set off. 2 miles later I was loading it onto my bike trailer! Started easy but totally gutless once out of 2nd gear, slowing down brought the engine back to life. The plug was as black as night. A quick email to Peter Ingram pointed out that choke arrangement is back to front on the pre-monoblock. That was probably part of my troubles but ultimately the timing had been set at tdc and the carb was full off muck!

Having put the carb through an ultrasonic cleaning tank, fitted new gaskets, checked the valve clearances and setting the ignition up correctly today was judgement day.

Set off from home, once round the block in case I had to push it back and then ventured further. Strange/worrying knocking noise was traced to the front tank mount bolts loose. Tightened those at the roadside and then set off again doing about 20 miles.

So much better than my first outing. Engine pulls well and once moving top gear serves most situations. Brakes are adequate and the Smiths guess-ometer tells me I'm doing between 30 and 70mph! I think an overhaul is due. A quick stop to check nothing had fell off and take a photo then back home.

I plan to use the bike through winter and next year getting it mechanically tip top and then address the cosmetics and details next winter in readiness for Normandy 2014. Jobs to sort straight away - chaincase oil leak and cables (they all seem too long).

So far so good.

Photobucket

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins@btinternet.com

Re: BSA WM20 first ride report.

After a bike has been restored there are always lots of little things to do during the first miles. The speedo will most likely just need a clean, I have done it quite a few time myself. You will be amazed about all the dirt that will be cleaned out of the clock work. An overhaul sets you back at least 100 pounds and that is a lot of money for a clean up of the clock work.

Have fun with that bike.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Henk,

I've found an overhaul article in the technical section of the website so I'll have a go myself. When i took the bezel off to change the glass it looked a bit mucky inside.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Another WD bike on the road! Well done!
Enjoy the feeling of freedom and see you in Normandy 2014!

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Stuart, the 'midlands' section is becoming active! Glad to hear all went well, I can see a Jack Hills cafe bacon roll run coming soon...

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Sounds good to me Pete. We're now up to 2 members does that make us a break away group?

Stuart

The bike looks very tidy Stuart, have fun and see you in Normandy 2014

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Brilliant Stuart, it looks like you had a good day for the test flight. Terrific to see another Green motorcycle back on the road again, even if it is another BSA!!

Stuart, Pete
My WM20 regularly gets a Sunday morning run to Jacks Hill cafe, so any time the Midland section wants a meeting post it here

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

Hi Peter, lets get it sorted, pm me your mobile and hopefully have a dry ride out soon.
Pete

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Ditto. Maybe over the christmas break some time, I'm away until the 29th though.

Stuart

Pete,Stuart
Today I snapped my achilles tendon and now have my leg in plaster, so I wont be doing any biking for at least 10 weeks. But as soon as Im fixed we can get out on them

Ouch...! How did you do that..?

Re: BSA WM20 first ride report

Horror. I did it push starting a car with s flat battery.

I just thank all the Gods that its my left leg. I cant bear to think about if it had been my kick start foot

Peter, just placing an order with Draganfly, i'll see if they have any 'achilles tendon' in stock .

Meet up once you've heeled.

Stuart

email (option): stu.gibbins

Get well soon, that's an awful thing to happen

Nieuwe pagina 1