Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
8781 Handle Bar Shock Absorber Rubber

Hi all,

for my 1936 Norton 16H I need the Part #8781 Handle Bar Shock Absorber Rubber.
I found a guy, Nortongeorge on ebay a year ago telling me he will reproduce some by the time. He told me I have to look at his Homepage. But I could not find them and could not get in contact with him. Maybe I am to stupid to handle his internet page.
Does anyone have an idea where to get those rubbers or does anyone has an alternative he used instead. Maybe cut a flexible rubber hose into pieces.

Thanks
Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Re: 8781 Handle Bar Shock Absorber Rubber

Phillip, I had the same issue with my Triumph Speedtwin! You can buy them from Jeff Hunter. jeffalanhunter@aol.com But I found his modern rubber type too soft. Eventually I went to a firm in Southampton (UK) who sell all sorts of rubber/Neoprene products and they punched me out some doughnuts from the correct thickness neoprene sheet. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Ron thanks for the post.

If I understand you correctly I should go for a self made solution than try the Jeff Parts? I dont want my handle Bar moving up and down during the ride.

Phillip

Hi all,

The Triumph/Ariel type setup is totally different to the Norton ones, also on the Norton you need a steel clip to stop the handlebars revolving, Ron might still have some.

I adapted shock absorber rubbers to fit in the cups, but you need plenty of soap, and C clamps to get it to fit, and get the bolts in there!! have some originals somewhere I could take pictures off if needed.

The George Cohen website is nightmarish to find what you're looking for, and emailing him doesn't work half of the time unless you have a cheap Manx for sale, and his restorations have nothing to do with originality, but he knows his engine/technical stuff, must say that.

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex,
thanks for that. Have seen such a part in the spare book. I thought it is a separated part next to the handle bar but checking the spare part book again handle bar and clip is one part. Need to contact Ron maybe he got one for sale.

What's the suggestion, weld the clip to the handle bar like on an original bike (handle bar could not be adjusted any more) or use it separated to adjust handle bar according to the riders taste and hope the clip once mounted crabbing the bar also hard enough during riding the bike???

Thanks
Phillip

Phillip, I'll send you a picture of the clip by email. The clip must be fixed (brazed) to the bar, otherwise it wont work. All these bars must have been set in a sort of fits every rider position.
And of course Lex is right about the difference in design between Triumph/Ariel and Norton. But with this clip fixed so that the handlebar can't swivel, no problem with Jeff's softer rubber jobbies. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

The WD 16H, unlike the WD Big 4 didn't use the anti-vibration rubber mountings which had been a feature of the civilian Nortons since the early/mid 1930s. It seems clear from the factory records that the reason for doing this was not to make poor old Tommy Atkins suffer but that the 16Hs were to be fitted with 'Trials type, Adjustable Handlebars'.

The lack of adjustability is a feature of the Norton rubber mount system. I don't know why it should have bothered the War Department who were known for supplying uniforms in two sizes - 'Too Big' and 'Too Small'

Is this it?PhotobucketPhotobucket

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

Yep, #23 are the rubbers,

I would be carefull with brazing the clamp on the bars, before I have tested the position, I tac welded the bracket on, to see if it all was in the right position, and after that brazed it on fully, and yes they are meant to be brazed on, as per picture above.

The rubber alone will not prevent the bars turning, and would be dangerous to use that way.

My 2 cents,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Thanks for the very usefull hints from all of you.

Phillip

Nieuwe pagina 1