Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Website that may be of interest to Londoners

I just found a website that may be of interest to people in and around London, it plots where every bomb fell
http://bombsight.org/#12/51.4780/-0.0005

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Re: Website that may be of interest to Londoners

Can't believe what I see on that page.

Henk

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

What am incredible website, my road was bombed and where I have worked for the last decade has 4 bombs in the fields there . Never would I have guessed !!!

That map should be compulsory viewing for the revisionists who argue that the carpet bombing of cities such as Hamburg or Dresden was some sort of unique RAF / USAAF 'war crime'.

Strangely, looking at the patch where I grew up in the 1960s, there is a hit mentioned on a road that I recall as a row of Victorian shops (must've been a dud) and nothing shown on the fields where My dad showed me a large hole and told me that it was from the big 1940 raid on Kenley (He hadn't been called up at that time).

In my own road in Birkenhead, which is just over 100 metres long one bomb landed and badly damaged only one side of the road and in the last couple of years they have found two more unexploded bombs in people's back gardens. This explained why the houses on one side of the road were of a slightly different construction.
Whilst at a steam fair I picked up a very rare book printed for the fire service about the bombs dropped on various cities by Zepplins, that too listed every single one of the bombs dropped on London. I couldn't believe how many bombs were dropped during WW1.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Saw this earlier, and noticed one dropped behind Russell Motors on Falcon Rd.!

Have to ask Les, next time I'm there!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

It shows that the carpet bombing was more accurate than I thought. Great map but a horrific time to live through in London and any other city that got bombed like this.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Saw this on BBC & been checking streets in North London where my parents lived, they are bringing it out as an Android phone app soon.
I love technology when it gives younger people a clearer idea of history & of what London life must have been like at that time.

I wonder if the author will now move on to do Coventry, Leeds, Manchester, Hull, Southampton, Liverpool, Bootle and so on who also got a good pasting in WW2?

I'm actually amazed they logged every bomb that fell and these records have survived the years. Did they do this for every town that was bombed..?
I think Coventry would be a red paint brush across a map of the town.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

It's fascinating stuff and realy does go to show how awful the bombing campaign on Britain was in WW2. I say Britian as it wasn't just England, most people completely forget the bombs that fell on Scotland and Wales too. Whoever has done this has really done their homework.

Lincoln Bill
It's fascinating stuff and realy does go to show how awful the bombing campaign on Britain was in WW2. I say Britian as it wasn't just England, most people completely forget the bombs that fell on Scotland and Wales too. Whoever has done this has really done their homework.

Bill, Don't forget that Belfast took a pasting too.

Wasn't the work done by Portsmouth University ? Another city that the Luftwaffe knew the way to.

And it started with Warsaw, and then Rotterdam; I remember seeing it burn...
And it ended with Dresden I think

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Quite right Rik, very true indeed, my mistake, I did mean to mention them too, but forgot. I think the main thing is that it was all horrible and it doesn't matter if it was Britian, Germany, Japan, France, Belgium, Holland or wherever, I just can't imagine how it would have been to be under that lot coming down all around you.

hi,just wondering what the success rate was,how many bombs are embedded below ground and in rivers etc,from what i have seen in the past they only left a neat hole the same diameter as the bomb.
then there is the continuous shower of shrapnell from aa guns pouring down causing more damage,the mind boggles
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

i live in orpington kent it is where the last V2 rocket landed in 1945 also a double agent sent germany false information about the V1s saying they were over shooting london the germans altered the range so that lots of V1s fell short in kent country side

email (option): roger.beck@node6.com

roger
i live in orpington kent it is where the last V2 rocket landed in 1945 also a double agent sent germany false information about the V1s saying they were over shooting london the germans altered the range so that lots of V1s fell short in kent country side

Roger, according the latest book about agent "Zigzag" (a good read btw. author: Ben Macintyre) who sent this false info, it was later jeopardized, when a newspaper published pictures of the damage, that showed they came down where the Germans aimed them!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Don't forget to put Plymouth on that 'blitz map' as well..You can still find 'bomb sites' where houses were destroyed in the city and the whole of the city centre had to be rebuilt after the war.. Terry Hobbs Motorcycles, the centre of all things British Bike in Plymouth had a 'bomb site' we used to park our bikes on right opposite the shop...There are a number of craters in the woods near my house..I'm approx. 15 miles north of Plymouth, the results of Luftwaffe attempts to hit the railway bridge etc....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Nieuwe pagina 1