Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Speedo cable

Hi all,

I have suddenly found a km/h Smith speedo from 1936 (Thanks to Rick B. and the forum).
This brings the next challenge, the Speedo Cable. I only know those cables with a shaft on both sides. Now the Speedo also got a shaft????

Does anyone have a picture of a original speedo cable used on a civilian 1936 Norton 16H? Maybe this is already the correct one?

Photobucket
I have read a thread in this forum mentioning JJ cables but could not found them in the internet. I have found Vintage British cables. Any experience with them or does anyone have experience with another company providing 1A quality cables?

Thanks a lot
Phillip

email (option): phillip.thaler@gmx.at

Re: Speedo cable

Hi Phillip,

Your 36 16H would have had a Smiths/Jaeger pattern speedo fitted, the parts page you have pasted shows a Jaeger pattern speedo cable. You can tell is Jaeger if you look at the speedo end of the cable it's a clamp on fitting not a screw fitting. The jaeger speedo heads have a shaft that sticks out of the bottom of the speedo case with no thread on it and the cable clamps round this.
J J Cables can make you a Jaeger cable with the correct clamp, they have made a few for me in the past.
Address is
J J Cables LTD
Hillfield Farm
Warwick
CV35 0BQ
England

Think Smiths took over Jaeger in the early 30s and used the Jaeger drive for a few years after takeover, latter they used the screw fitting. Jaeger and Smiths faces are the same apart from Jaeger pattern on the face, the only difference is the drive shaft. Jaeger speedos fetch silly money on eBay but if you want one you have to pay the price.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1