Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
magdyno and headlamp

Hi everyone,
I have 2 parts that came with my WDM20 that I have questions about. The frame is #118274, made in last contract #S7218 sometime may-june 1945.
I have an MU42 headlamp and a magdyno composed of an MO1L mag and am E3LM dynamo.
I have 2 question about them:
Are either one correct to my bike?
Is there any reason why the magdyno won't work with my bike? (I know the headlamp will)
Thanks, Damon D
PS: remembering Pearl Harbor day here in US

email (option): siradrad@verizon.net

Re: magdyno and headlamp

Hi Damon,

my bike has the following serial number:
Engine number: 122534 WM20 B
Frame Number: WM20 122534

The Mag Dyno has the followinhg markings:
LUCAS E3HM-L C
C200285

Hope this helps.

Julian

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

E3L is the 1949 and later dynamo, with higher output. This dynamo is recognisable by the two journal ball bearings.

E3h is the one that would have been fitted during the war years.
E3H is the one with the bronze bush near the collector and the oil hole in the plastic end-cover.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

Rob, what bike had the dynamo with the regulator fitted internally.

email (option): unpob@yahoo.com

So, I figured the magdyno wasn't the correct one, but it's what I have.
Is there any reason it won't fit/work with my bike? Thanks.

Hi Damon

Your M01 magneto is good to go for your bike

It should have the advance/retard cable coming from the right side of the points to provide a tight wire advance, adv/ret lever pulled back fully

As far as the dynamo goes, some of these bikes were fitted with 60 watt dynamos after the war as replacements/upgrades it just makes the points a little more difficult to get access to due to a longer body than the standard dynamo

Shouldn't be a problem fitting to your bike

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

Damon, I'd suggest posting photos from a few angles of the magdyno. There are variables and there is no guarantee that the data plate has never been swapped.

Depending how 'accurate' you wish to be, there are post-war and earlier mag body castings, HT pickups on either side, several variation of lower fixing, and of course rotation direction which bring with them differing end plates and cam assemblies.

Pretty well all of the major assemblies can be made to work but you need to know what you've got.

Phew, there's nothing like spending half the morning fudging around with Photobucket to remind you you're not as smart as you'd like to think. The things we do for our love of old bikes!
Here's a few photos of the magdyno. Is there anything apparent that raises any red flags?
I'm hoping to get it rebuilt and be on my merry way
Photobucket
MGL
MGR
Damon D

Nieuwe pagina 1