Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sprocket advice

I'm going to swap out either my engine sprocket or gearbox sprocket to add one tooth to drop my gear ratio a bit. Seems like the engine sprocket might be the easiest approach, but I've never done either before. Any hands-on advice or specific pitfalls to avoid from those that have done this, besides what's outlined in the manual and service bulletins? I didn't see anything in previous posts or the tech section. Thanks!

Craig

Re: Sprocket advice

Hi Craig,
The engine sprocket will be the easiest to replace and have the greatest effect.
You may find that you have to add a link to your primary chain depending on how much adjustment you have at the gearbox but probably not. Make sure that when you do up the cush drive nut that it is very tight, a hammer and brass drift should do the trick.

I fitted a 21 tooth to mine a few years ago, it transforms the bike, just have to rev it a bit more before i put it in top.
Think i had a 18 fitted before i changed. If you go this far you will have to lengthen the chain or even have to add or remove a half link. Its easy to do and as Matty says its easier than changing the gearbox sprocket.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Hi,
i think 19 on the engine and 19 on the gear box is best (NO higher number of teeth !)

I think the army used 18 teeth for the gearbox and civilians 19. I am verry pleased to make a 21 teeth on the engine bud DO NOT FORGET THE lock washer Gr Theo S

email (option): oldbikes@kpnmail.nl

Great feedback everyone, thanks for the input. I haven't checked all my sprockets to confirm the current gear ratio, but I'll start with the engine sprocket for now, and see how it performs.

Craig

Nieuwe pagina 1