Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kick Start

Just had to pull the gearbox apart today to get the cases vapour blasted but whilst stripping it apart I couldn't remove the kick start gear and spring, also found that the kick start gear shaft wouldn't freely turn.
Is there allot of resistance on this shaft or is it seized as the bike hasn't run since 1970 and I've never seen or heard it run?

email (option): 79aust@sky.com

Re: Kick Start

Did you try to turn it by hand, or with an adjustable spanner, the spring holds it tightly enough to prevent you turning it by hand, it is better to remove the screw and nut that hold the end of the spring and try turning it again with an adjustable spanner, if it turns, try working it out with the spanner, it may just be a little bit of rust or hard grease that is stopping from turning easily by hand. When the fit is correct it should be able to be freely turned, but with no up and down play.

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

This is seized solid, not easy trying to remove the screw retaining the spring due to the position of the gear. Will put in the oven tomorrow to see if a bit of heat will help free it up. Thanks for your advice Dave.

I just bought a "ductor II" very expensive, but ideal for situations like this, try looking on youtube for it, I heated to red hot a brake actuating arm on the bike to change it's angle without marking the paint on the brake plate, and in doing so I freed it off at the same time as it was seized, try doing that with a blowlamp or oxy acetylene!

What a tool, boys and their toys eh.
I'll add it to my Xmas list and see what Santa brings, LOL.

Julian Hands
This is seized solid, not easy trying to remove the screw retaining the spring due to the position of the gear. Will put in the oven tomorrow to see if a bit of heat will help free it up. Thanks for your advice Dave.

Remember that excessive heat will ruin the spring.

Rob.

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Thats the thing with the ductor, It only heats what is inside the coil, any other heat is just what gets transferred from the object. It heats the object that fast that it heat transfer is kept to a minimum, for instance if you have a seized nut in close proximity to a fuel pipe it can be used (using common sense) whereas any naked flame would definately be unsafe, definately one for the Christmas wish list!

That is a great tool, but cost too much for my Christmas list

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

As I've got all the gearbox apart I've seen somewhere that the spring is always worth replacing as it has a hard life anyway, heat on the old spring isn't the concern its the casing I'm worried about.
Love the induction heat recommendation but I agree with horror as I wsa also shocked when I saw the cost at £400. I can't justify that.

Nieuwe pagina 1