Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crack in Fork Leg (Matchless G3L)

Hello All,
Just when I thought that I completed my restoration, I find oil dripping out through the left side fork leg.It has a small crack in the area where we use a bolt for the bottom tube. This happened when I was tightening the bottom end clamps. I actually heard it crack . . Is it because I used too much force for tightening or it happened due to something else.
What is the best method to repair this. I hope this should be Al welding?
Please do advice as I have spent enough and more time on it and the problem don't seem to be solved

Photobucket

Tavery

email (option): tavery.p@hotmail.com

Re: Crack in Fork Leg (Matchless G3L)

I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice from folks on this one and I wouldn't know enough to advise you either way. I would just say that I've got a pair of G3L fork legs in my spares box that have both had a crack like yours and have both been welded up at some time long ago.

hi Tavery,i can sympathise,i did exactly the same on a mates bike years ago.
i can still here the crack.it doesn't take much to split them does it.
i just replaced,but they were ten a penny then,Dave Plumb is the alloy welding champ,maybe he can help,hope you get sorted
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

I should be able to get it sorted. Just out of interest it appears that water that gets past the seal causes most of the cracks as they get frozen at some time in their lives. I may even have another slider that is ok

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

I'm looking for a WD G3l Battery box if anyone has one spare.

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

There are plans to make one Robb, on the jampot archives site, they are proper engineering drawings not a rough sketch the only thing is that they show the front part as the narrow type, you just have to make it with a piece that is as wide as the back part

email (option): davmax@ntlworld.com

Dave, already sent him a drawing of the prewar type, needs to be modified too for the 41 model, but not too bad.

Any news on the saddle covers??

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Tavery, I don't know where you live in the world but may I suggest you contact Jampot spares Robinson Way, Kettering. They have quite a lot of new and second hand spares, I will check to see if I have one later but I do believe I gave them all to a mate.

TTJohn

email (option): Jomichael@aol.com

Hello John/Dave,

I am located in India and been struggling with this Matchless here. I do not have access to any pictures or workshops. Been doing this myself for the love of the Motorcycle. I did try to weld it and it has come good. I will try fixing this praying that what has happened will never happen again. Will post pics at the earliest.

Tavery

email (option): tavery.p@payoda.com

Nieuwe pagina 1