Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oil, how much?

I looked at the manuals that came with my M20, and none of them tell how much oil to put in the oil tank. When I open the tank I can see oil down below the filter, how high does it have to be?
Also, the manuals say to use 50 wt oil, is this what I should be useing?
Thanks again.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

email (option): normandy@ec.rr.com

Re: oil, how much?

As a guide the oil tank wants to be at least 3/4 full. But if you don't know you M does not wet sump after standing a few weeks best to start it and let it run 10 mins as you may have a pint in the sump. If it is wet sumping best to check it out as its not a good thing running the motor with too much oil in the sump.
Oil i use SAE 40 in all my bikes and have used the same grade for 20 odd years so won't be changing, but other people will tell you different.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

FrankUSMC
I looked at the manuals that came with my M20, and none of them tell how much oil to put in the oil tank. When I open the tank I can see oil down below the filter, how high does it have to be?
Also, the manuals say to use 50 wt oil, is this what I should be useing?
Thanks again.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

I have been using Valvolene 20w 50 in mine for the past 52,000 miles.
Seemed to work well while it was in the engine.
Having said that I am not far off a rebore.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I'm in South UK. I use SAE 40 all year round. SAE 50 would be good for a hot climate with SAE 30 for a cold area. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Never mind how hot it is, given the current climatic conditions in the UK, is not the most important quality that oil has the fact that it floats on water??

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Nieuwe pagina 1