Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
matchless rear wheel bearing

Just bought a nos rear wheel bearing for my g3l from the us.Ipaid sixty two pounds for it but these bearings are impossible to find these days so i thought i better have one.Any one else wanting one just type in matchless wheel bearing on ebay.They are the right part number 11905.You might think this is a funny thing to say but with these old motorcycles i think you have to buy these rare parts when you see them not when you need them

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Re: matchless rear wheel bearing

Bummer! I just bought one on Oz ebay for $239!

hi,just out of interest ,what are the dimensions of that bearing?
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

The outer casing is 1/3.8th in diameter by half an inch wide. You cant measure the roller part because they are fixed to the shaft.somebody better than me could tell you how they are made . They are a bit of a pain and i think would have been in the field because you have to remove the whole shaft.

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

There are two axle sizes for rigid rear wheels wd and pre '50 are 7/16 and post'50 1/2 inch.

I still have some NOS ex-Dutch Army ones in the workshop. Have to dig them out, but will offer these for sale in the next month or so.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

Funny things bearings. If you look for a bearing for a specific classic vehicle, you'll often pay through the nose, but if you can quote the sizes instead, you'll often find that they fit many other aplications and they can be much, much cheaper. A couple of years back I bought a bearing for a James that through a marque dealer was £37, but I got the exact same thing from a bearing wholesaler for just £3.80.

The Matchless rear wheels bearing(s) are a hollow tube with the two taper roller bearings integrated into the construction, with two bearing 'shells' pushed over from the outside, giving the bearings a way of adjustment to take up wear etc.

But I would agree with the remarks by Lincoln Bill when it is on Triumph wheels bearings for 3SW and 3HW.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

I do like my Matchless's, but it seems just another daft idea by Matchless to hamper maintenance procedures. Who else has ever fitted Timkin taper bearings up side down. The floating part of the bearing should be the part to adjust, not the pressed in part. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Nieuwe pagina 1