Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with valuation

I need to renew my insurance agreed valuations which are clearly very out of date. I would be very grateful for group members views on the value of my panel tank G3WO Matchless that I brought back from France. It is documented that it came from a dealer in Dunkirk, Also I have documented G3L and 16h which I brought back from Normandy. What would they be worth in the current market and would a purchase pay any more for a bike that was known to have taken part in the Normandy campaign and got left behind. I really have no idea whether this would add to the value or not. Thanks JT

Re: Help with valuation

This is a question that I've asked myself, John. I don't know the answer but suspect that the average punter (the market) will pay up to about six grand for a cobbled together WDish bike with green paint slapped all over it (that I'd value at about £1500) but won't go any higher for one of the non-rarities.

Provenance is a strange thing. Personally, unless I could link a vehicle to a particular unit, I'd probably not want to pay extra for it. I'm glad that I know that my 16H saw service with the BEF but I wouldn't expect more than the odd nutter to place a premium on it because of that.

It's all a bit academic for me as the Belgian insurance market for older vehicles is still in the dark ages. I rattle around on Third party Only and buy a bigger chain each year....

Hi John..When I insured the WB30 I was asked to provide some evidence for it's rarity before the company would agree to the valuation I had suggested to them. Fortunately I had done a lot of research on the B30s and was able to prove the low number produced initially etc. etc.
'Provenance' in terms of an insurance company seems to revolve around rarity, either initially or due to a low number of remaining survivors of a type, or association with someone famous...these things being reasons to give it a higher than normal valuation.
I'm assuming you feel the background story on these bikes warrants a higher value than for an equivalent example of the same type...Depending on what you think that premium is your going to have to add that to the 'normal' market price for the type and then, possibly, have to try and convince the insurance company to see things your way...What an individual might think isn't really all that relevant...unless he works for an insurance company!..I had a 'one family from new' 1960 Beetle many moons back which had a virtually perfect body...I then fitted a new factory (German) engine, new suspension, exhaust etc. etc. etc....but I could still only get a 'top book' valuation from the insurers....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi John, my insurance company will offer upto £5k agreed value on receipt of photographs from both sides and rear. You need to include a written description of condition and work undertaken if any. I experienced no problem when I insured my M20 and G3L with them. Anything higher and you have to pay an inspector to visit and assess in person.

email (option): cruaser@aol.com

Nieuwe pagina 1