Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum Introduction

Hello Gentlemen,

Having been a long time visitor to the WDBSA site, and having recently been following the forum daily and posting, I thought I should introduce myself. I am a long-time British motorbike owner/maintainer, a college professor, a father of three, a native of California, a member of the BSAOC of Northern California, and the great-grandson of William Weston who was born and raised in Leicestershire England. It must be in the genes, but English motorbikes, especially of the military variety, have been a passion of mine for a long time. In other motorcycling circles this would most likely be considered a terminal defect, but here I am sure it's accepted as a valid reason for living!

The bike I ride most, and love best, is a 1942 WM-20, and is the reason I discovered Henk's website in the first place. This particular bike has never been restored or apart, and you can feel all those years of parts working together when you ride her. Of particular interest on the motorbike are the two layers of paint. The earliest/original color is a pale green; I have never seen this color on any WD color charts, but looks as though it might be an appropriate color for North Africa or the middle east. I will try to get a quality photo of the color and post it for comment. The top color is black, no doubt applied shortly after de-commissioning, though one never quite knows for certain. When I first got the machine I had the intention of repainting her the early war khaki green and with RAF markings, but a good friend pointed out the rarity of the unrestored patina and history preserved in her current condition. Thus she stayed as described, but with a few additions designating her RAF still. I will post a photo at some point soon. As a footnote, having had several correspondences with the RAF museum, and having received many photos of RAF motorcycles from them, I had no hesitancy in fitting out the M-20 as an RAF conscript in black. It appears that, more than any other branch of the services, the variety of war-time colors, fitments, markings and alterations in the RAF were nearly limitless. I feel confident that there must have been at least one black RAF WM-20. I am happy to share some of those photos from the RAF museum if there is interest.

I have been reading on the forum with great interest the planned 70th anniversary D-Day gathering. The D-Day rally and crossing is something I have always wanted to attend, and I will do all I can to join you in 2014. I still have my entire DR kit from ten years back! Having said that, I may beg for logistical help in carrying it off. Most importantly, I will be looking for a motorbike for purchase. Having had one for many years and having foolishly sold it in a moment of questionable mental clarity, I would like to find another Norton WD 16H. Now I know I may get some jeering for this statement, and well know that it was the darkest fear of every DR when turning in his G3L at the service depot that he might be reissued a Norton, non-the-less let me remind everyone that if one is going to have two girlfriends, one is probably best off with both a blond and a brunette! I'm sure many of you saw that beauty offered by Cotswold's, though I thought the price a bit rich. Shame it's been sold; I'd have liked to take out a second mortgage to nab that one. If anyone hears of or comes across a solid running 16H, please pass along the information to me.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Thank you all for the terrific forum and to Henk for the WDBSA website. If someone might pass along how to post photos to the forum, I will share some worthy photographs.

All the best to everyone.

Mark Weston Frost

email (option): wingco40@hotmail.com

Re: Forum Introduction

Welcome to the forum Mark. Best of luck with the search for a bike, even if I do question your choice of marque :-) Hope to see you in Normandy.

email (option): cruiserchooser AT hotmail.co.uk

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the website and the forum. It would be great if you could make it to Normandy in 2014, lots of forum members will be there for sure.

Henk.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forum!
I would suggest you to read the book 'a civillian in uniform' from Jack Dienst and than reconsider your statement about the lovely Nortons........
I might have a solution for your request, please pm me for that.

Regards,
Sven

email (option): snvosselman@gmail.com

Hi Mark..Welcome to the forum...Nice to hear your 'background' story..Personally I'd go for an Ariel WNG rather than a Norton if I was forced by circumstance not to use a BSA!.. ...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Hi Mark, you sound like a man with good taste and a 16H is a wise choice. Hope to see you in 2014

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Hi Mark, welcome to the Forum. I am also relatively new to this forum as a contributor, having just read the postings previously. I have found everyone contributing to be extremely helpful. Plus a huge thank you to Henk for allowing the odd reference to the prewar BSAs, as I have 1935 and 1936 models, as well as the 1938 M20.
It also appears I have the same surname as your English ancestors, it is not a hugely common name and I was aware there are groups in the USA and Australia. There are a fair amount of UK place names with Weston in their title.

Rgds Dave

email (option): d.weston@virgin.net

Nieuwe pagina 1