Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swap: Completely rebuilt and painted front Matchless G3L wheel

I had this wheel with my project Ariel WNG.
I didn't realise it wasn't an Ariel one until last night .... . DAMMIT

I believe it to be a G3L front wheel (by asking about and looking at parts lists).
It's appears to have new spokes, new rim and is painted (might be powdercoated) mid war "strong cup of tea" brown. It has new sealed bearings in it too.
The paint/powdercoat has been knocked in storage, here and there, but it's still pretty good ...

It came with a fitted brand new 3.50 tyre which is pumped up (i.e. not leaking) which I could be convinced to leave on ..

I can send pictures.

I would prefer to swap for an equivalent Ariel WNG front ... I know I won't get similar condition but at this point in time.. anything ... (although I'd have to imagine someone bought a G3L project and it's got a refurbed ariel wheel in it ).
However, as I know my club has new ariel girder hubs, I'd take offers of money (before it goes onto EBAY - and I can see one there now for over FOUR HUNDRED earth pounds - I wouldn't want that ..)

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Re: Swap: Completely rebuilt and painted front Matchless G3L wheel

If it has new sealed bearings in it, it wont be Matchless. They have quite a unique one piece axle and tapered race setup. Send in a pic.

I cannot see the bearings as such, as I couldn't figure out how to drive out the axle thing. I assumed they were sealed as that is what they looked like from the outside.

I was also looking at this on EBAY - slightly different spoke hole arrangement but the locking retainers are the same:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-NOS-FRONT-WHEEL-BELIEVED-MATCHLESS-G3L-WM2-19-WW2-BSA-TRIUMPH-DUNLOP-VINTAGE-/300817237274?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item460a1ac51a#ht_16900wt_1606

Hey John,
That looks like the earlier G3 wheel to me. If the brake drum is 7" then it is, the G3L drum is 5"
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

John. One of the distinctive features of W/NG front wheel is that it only has 36 spokes rather than the normal 40. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Mick Holmes
Hey John,
That looks like the earlier G3 wheel to me. If the brake drum is 7" then it is, the G3L drum is 5"
Cheers, Mick.

Sorry to be a pain, but I am keen not to misrepresent what I have.
The drum IS 7", so that makes it a pre-war G3 then ...

Hey John,
I don't think it would be too hard to adapt that wheel to fit the Ariel, the spindles are the same diameter, they both use the same speedo drive gears etc.
Do you have the brake plate etc. aswell?
W/NG wheels are quite scarce.
heers, Mick.

Hey Mick,

I have the later war Ariel 6 1/2" brake plate, new shoes/springs - no dice there - too small. So, I would need to source a complete complement of larger brake plate bits (and the harder bit, which are brake shoes)

The matchless wheel looks like it takes a 7/16" axle (as the 1/2", later WNG, axle set I have is too big. The previous one is a 9/16"). The axle carrier is hardened so would need some boring out or removing to let the bearings run on the axle directly ...

I am on the trial of three 6 1/2" ariel hubs as I write ... If this is not the right wheel for the WD matchless (i.e. of no interest here) then I'll EBAY it ... wonder why someone took the trouble to paint it brown ... ah well ...

Hey John, that wheel was used on WD machines, the '39G3WD and '40-41G3WO were fitted with them. Sorry, of course the spindles are different diameters! Slip of the brain!
Heres one I prepared earlier-
Photobucket
Cheers, Mick

I'd love to buy your wheel as i am using a modified potswar wheel at the moment, but it would cost a fortune to ship here to Oz. Photobucket

Nothing is insurmountable.
I ran some rough dimensions and weight through and it's a shade under a £100. It might be a ittle more or less, after packing.

You didnt leave an email on your post but mine is below ..

I am going to EBAY it tonight/tomorrow ....

Nieuwe pagina 1