Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WNG toolbox query...

A friend has just purchased a WNG 'sans' toolbox(es)...Did WNGs of all years have two toolboxes or was it just one for some years?..Also does anyone have any for sale?..Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: WNG toolbox query...

Bottom one is standard rigid box; available pattern
Top one is a "special" with a half hinged lid; available pattern

Bottom is joined to top by special "piggy back brackets" available from John Budgen. You also need a top bracket; which is easily made.

Gravity toolbox knobs you can get from India (mine were plated chrome over brass and the threads were the same) .. or indeed elsewhere ...

email (option): madoc500@hotmail.com

Ian, as a far as I know it's exactly as John says, with the queer shaped brackets between them. Ron

Photobucket

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Thanks for the pics and info...So do they have 2 toolboxes for all years?...Ian

I'm sure Mick will answer for sure. But since the early example in O&M shows them both, and my later production models has them, I would say yes. Ron.

I'm sure Mick will answer for sure. But since the early example in O&M shows them both, and my later production models has them, I would say yes. Ron.

Hi Ian and Ron.
Yes, they always had two toolboxes, most like the ones on Rons bike.
There are photos of early versions having two of the pre war central knob loose lid boxes,I'll have a look through some parts books to see if there was definate contracts this type of box was fitted.
Cheers, Mick.

email (option): mick@motorbikemike.org.uk

OK, trawling through the available parts books, it looks like the first two and a half contracts (from engine BH600 to around BH5000?) they had "loose lid" tool boxes (6553-40 upper, 6554-40 lower) changing to the familier hinged boxes (6553-41 upper, 6554-41 lower)mid way through contract C8722.
Cheers, Mick.

Thanks for checking that out Mick. The bike has a frame number XG50614 and engine number BH38375...Anyone have any info on that?. ...Ian

Hi Ian,
Both the engine/frame number are from S4554, delivery started 12/43 to 09/44.
I will have a look in the dispatch books later to see if the engine and frame started life together.
Cheers, Mick.

Nieuwe pagina 1