Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
weld the gearbox or get a new one part 2

Thanks for all the help, This is a continuation of the slipping kistart from earlier.

Took the gearbox cover off and looked at the cracks in the cover along with the quadrant. As you can see there are 2 cracks plus the quadrant is only worn on one of the sides corners. Which leaves me to believe that it was only connecting on the corner due the the breaks in the cover? Does anyone else agree? Also checked the kickstart gear and it doesn't look worn.

From gearbox cover break

From gearbox cover break

I will check the primary gear cush nut tomorrow and see if that is also a problem.

I also added some pics of the gearbox cover in general. Someone mentioned that they didn't think it was original due to the arms on the front. But it looks to me like a decent cast on the inside not aftermarket...am I wrong?

gearbox cover break

Thanks in adavance

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

Re: weld the gearbox or get a new one part 2

The shoulder of the steel bush sets the position of the quadrant.
With cracks like that the bush will be able to move so that the quadrant does not mesh properly with the pinion.

Personnaly I would consider finding a new outer, they are fairly common and will be a lot cheaper than getting yours welded then getting a custom bush turned up to fit properly into the repaired cover.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

thanks I appreciate the feedback. I was thinking the same thing

email (option): jeff@infinitymedspa.com

hi jeff,did you not get my e-mail ? it may have gone now
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Common?? That'll be the day. I haven't seen a cover for sale for yonks. And they usually go for a fortune! You can send me the cracked one if you like!

hi,yes it was there,ebay no 190758822706 .it is now sold but if you search they are there,i have stopped posting ebay stuff as it upsets other members of this fantastic site .
so if you require one and i see it ,i will now e-mail you personally
cheers rick

email (option): richardholt@rocketmail.com

Hi Richard,

I got it thank for the heads up

email (option): Jeff@infinitymedspa.com

I would not be upset at all if you could point me to a set of those small tappet feeler gauges 65-9130...

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Douglas
Common?? That'll be the day. I haven't seen a cover for sale for yonks. And they usually go for a fortune! You can send me the cracked one if you like!

OK I should have qualified that,
Very common down here in OZ.
Usually go for the $ 10 to $ 40 (AUS ) range
Complete boxes go for $ 200 to $ 400.
We had a lot of M20's down here.
Most of them ended up being donor engines for pumps, saws & the like and Aussies being Aussies the remainder was just shoved into the back of the shed.

So troll ebay Aust.
If you really need some let me know how much you want to pay & I will pick up whatever I see less than that at the odd swap ( auto jumble to some ) that I haunt.

email (option): wariron@tpg.com.au

I live here in Oz Trevor, been trolling for 3 years at swapmeets and ebay. Usually have to buy a whole box to get an unbroken cover!

Nieuwe pagina 1