Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cloth Dispatch Riders Helmet

Did I dream it, or was there a photo on this forum a while back showing an army motorcyclist wearing a cloth 'flying helmet' instead of the usual tin hat. Im trying to find this photo, but can't remember where I saw it or even if I actually did!

Re: Cloth Dispatch Riders Helmet

It was on the 'For Sale' page, Bill. Henk's probably deleted it by now. It was the early rubberised cotton version of a flying helmet - wet weather gear more than anything.

There is very little photographic evidence of them being used.

Thanks for that Rik, at least I know I'm not going mad! If Henk reads this, perhaps he could post it again?

I had one for sale a while back that was slightly to small for me to use. I found one now that fit's me. Here a photo of such a canvas helmet.

Next time in Normandy I plan to use it.

Henk

Photobucket

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

That's terrific Henk, thanks very much for posting the photo again, just what I was looking for.

Bill, you need 'The World War II Tommy' by Brayley & Ingram - that's where the photo was lifted from ! It seems to be pretty good on uniforms and kit (but is waaaay out on the machinery - what sort of 1940 M20 is he sitting on, pannier frames and all...?°

The bike was a bad choice to use for this photo.

Henk

Really like those short early war time jackets

Jo'b

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

I'll make some of those if I can get a pattern! My neighbor is a retired upholsterer and he is teaching me to sew.

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Rik
Bill, you need 'The World War II Tommy' by Brayley & Ingram - that's where the photo was lifted from ! It seems to be pretty good on uniforms and kit (but is waaaay out on the machinery - what sort of 1940 M20 is he sitting on, pannier frames and all...?°

Thanks for that Rik, I don't have a copy, I'll put it on my Christmas List.

And the bloke in the pictured is an old mate Les Jackson. He's much more into armoured vehicles than motorcycles though.
Search for ISBN 1-86 126-190-X. Ron

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Hi Robb,

These caps are pretty hard to find, it took me years to find one. The first one was a small size in not in a very good condition. I have one now that fits me reasonably but I could use one slightly bigger. They are often called "canvas helmets" on ebay. They are quite expensive.

You do need the goggles with them, without the goggles you look quite silly wearing it.

I can send you as many photos you want if that would help you making them.

Henk

It may sound odd, but my wife is into Aircraft and collects Aeroplane related stuff. The other evening she was looking through some of her stuff including some old flying helmets when she pulled one of these canvas helmets out and said she had no idea what it was. I suddenly remembered seeing this image and wondered if it could actually be one of these motorcyclists helmets and not a flying helmet at all. I'm really happy to say that it's exctly the same, so I've liberated it from her collection to go into mine!

Nieuwe pagina 1