Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Footrest Bolt Doubts

Hi, Last week I read about spacers and footrests for G3/G3L's. I was confused with them all this while. I have a post war 47 Matchless 350. The square footrest bolt is longer even after I fitted the footrests. I was not able to tight them properly. The question is am I using the bolt from a G3?
Not able to upload the picture. Sorry

J.M

email (option): johnmatthew04@gmail.com

Re: Footrest Bolt Doubts

The shorter square stud is used when early footrests are installed between frame and engine plates, a longish spacer goes between engine plates.

The longer square stud is used when later footrests fitted outside frame.
With the longer square stud you also have a longish spacer between engine plates and 2 shorter spacers between frame and engine plates.

Square stud will never tighten properly if any of these spacers are incorrect lengths, or missing.

When both types are assembled correctly, only the threaded ends of stud should be visible (no square shaft visible)

Cheers

Neale

email (option): n.gentner@bigpond.com

Hi Guys,

I'm also assembling a WD G3L. Recently I bought the remains of three bikes. Two Jampot models and a WD G3L.

Everything was a mish-mash all tossed into various boxes so sorting was a time consuming effort.

It seeems there are two lengths of footpeg areas that the square stud goes through. Only by comparison did I get it sorted, along with the spacers.

I'm looking for a fix for my footpegs as they are wuite worn at the bi-hex and flop about. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Robb

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hello, I have the same problem with my G3L . I had noticed this sometime back and did not have a clue. I am sure mine is G3L and not the earlier G3. Did someone replace this with a earlier model bolt? Totally confused.

Photobucket

Regards
Pratap Henry

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Well, that is a classical example, the rod is for an early G3, or postwar G3L, but too long for the wartime G3L with the inboard footrests.

Not easy to get the square into a 3 chuck lathe, (to shorten it) but its possible!

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Nieuwe pagina 1