Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off topic Norton 16h for sale

I have decided to sell my 1936 Norton 16h which is in largely original condition. The frame number puts it very close the batches of WD Norton's made in 1936 but it is clearly a civilian model. It's a lovely bike to ride and rides like a bike that has never been apart. It's a real shame to sell it but I currently have 3 16h's in the Tinley stable. Cannot be many around like this. Am I mad? It's on UK eBay number. 160929706829

email (option): tinley@btinternet.com

Re: Off topic Norton 16h for sale

A Lovely bike John, good luck with the sale.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

That auction didn't last long, John. Changed your mind and sold a lesser make instead ?

It certainly looks to have civilian frame geometry. Quite a stylish beast for the bottom of the range.

Yes Rik, I was lobbied by one of my friends and decided I should keep it. As a result I will now be selling a G3L Egyptian project needing full restoration. It's on the market and will go on ebay soon. Cheers John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

John, if it has lots of original components, would there be any chance of some good close ups of the (presumably combination) handlebar controls ?

Sure Rik, will do that at the weekend. John

email (option): Tinley@btinternet.com

John, thanks for letting me have a look a few days ago, trust me I could give that Egyptian such a great home and a new lease of life, but my lady cleverly pointed out that I already have 3 bikes (OK so that's totally irrelevant really but I humoured that one) then she added "and with these bikes regularly sharing the dining room with us, where would you restore it?", "the front room" I replied with glee and great enthusiasm...and then said "ah I see your point.." and there we have it, I'm once again I'm WD less and esp G3L less

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Rik
John, if it has lots of original components, would there be any chance of some good close ups of the (presumably combination) handlebar controls ?

Yes John,

I'm looking for good pictures of those for over 10 years now!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Rik,

If it's 16H control levers you want pics of i can send a pic of my 1935 unrestored 16H handlebar set up.

Tim W

email (option): t.j.walker@btinternet.com

Tim, Thanks for the offer. I'm always interested in close-ups of the ancillary components on mid to late '30s Nortons.

To my mind, it is precisely these details which make the diference between a machine 'in period' and one that passes the 20ft. test.

My '39 contract 16H had separate Doherty manufactured levers (although not trademarked, they have the characteristic internal construction). At some point prior to late 1939, this set-up replaced the combination levers which had previously been used on civilian and WD Nortons. As far as I can tell, the clamps have an extremely well-supported pivot and a fairly recognisable form but years of cruising jumbles has failed to turn any up. I wonder if they were actually a bit fragile when bored out to 1" ?

Nieuwe pagina 1