Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Matchless G3L (Clutch Casing Back Half Fixing Bolts)

I fixed my clutch casing back half to the crank case using 3 bolts. After I fixed the engine sprocket (18 Teeth), it looks like it comes in contact with the bolt heads. I am sure I am not using the right kind of bolts here. Can someone please do let me know what is the exact type of bolt I must be using here.

Thanks & Regards
Pratap Henry

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Re: Matchless G3L (Clutch Casing Back Half Fixing Bolts)

Hello Henry,

Originally these bolt are 3/8" or so, but usually the thread is gone out of the crankcase, and 1/4" bolts, or even bigger sizes are tapped in the crankcase, so the heads will be too big.

Also a special lockwasher is used to keep them in place.

Did you fit the hardened spacer behind the sprocket? that is also a lot of times long gone, and will give you these troubles.

Hope this helps,

Lex Schmidt

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Hi Lex, Thanks so much for the reply. I haven't got a clue about the spacer. Are you referring to part No 35-G3-E124? I will try using that. Regarding the bolts Can I use a flat head screw instead?

Regards
Pratap Henry

email (option): prataphenry@gmail.com

Yes, that's the one, most people don't know it should be there, but if you don't use it, then your chain is not running true.

Will see if I can measure one tonight.it's not a difficult thing to make if you have a lathe, even in mild steel it's better then nothing.

You could use flathead screws I guess, but no way to lock them, and they always come out, and get between the chain and the sprocket, and make a mess!!

Cheers,

Lex

email (option): welbike@welbike.net

Yes the spacer is part number 35-g3-e124 just ring amc spares or go on their website

email (option): cooperbaumber@yahoo.com

Nieuwe pagina 1