Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Forum pic.

It appears the chap on the left was wounded...He looks to have his right arm inside his Denison Smock and his belt is on 'back to front'..something that would be nearly impossible to do yourself...I guess someone else put it on for him?...I see at least two of them are wearing side arms...Shame I can't quite make out what is written above the left pocket of the one on the right in the picture...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Re: Forum pic.

I guess it's his name: Lewis?

This is the info that came with the photo:

Three men of the Army Film and Photographic Unit at Pinewood Studios, after returning from Arnhem. Pinewood is where they had received their photographic training. Left to right: Sergeants Dennis Smith, Gordon Walker and C.M. "Mike" Lewis is on the right. The photograph was taken by Lieutenant Barker.

email (option): ahum@quicknet.nl

surely he could have put his belt on and then pulled it round his body,it would also explain why his holster is on the wrong side,I didnt realise training was done at Pinewood,it is just up the road from me ,I will have to speak to a couple of mates who work there to see if there are any records surviving

But why would he do that?...Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

Full marks to Sgt D Smith, I have not had the use of my left arm for four weeks, and I cant do my jeans up let alone put a webbing belt on, and take pictures

In my experience anything that can be moved to reduce the chance of pressure to a sensitive injury area. gets moved, its possible something on his belt was inline with a sensitive part of his arm. its quite likely he had use of his right hand but rested in back inside when possible.

If you Google up WW2 people's war, The Kings shilling, part 8a Arnhem, by Neil walker it makes intresting reading

The cameras are Bell & Howell 35mm Eyemo's. I used to have one.

quote: Shame I can't quite make out what is written above the left pocket of the one on the right in the picture.

It looks like his name? .T Lewi..?

The badge on his left arm looks like the AFPU one, I think.

email (option): rpa@robvanmeel.nl

it could be "SGT LEWIS"

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

An ex-Para gave me a Denison smock that he told me was worn by a chap at Arnhem, its not in great condition, the cuffs do not have the knitted parts, would this make it a Mk1? Great picture.

email (option): kit247@hotmail.com

Paulco, I have been looking for one for a very long time, Always very expensive,if any one finds one in good order tell me, 35mm film is still made and I will bring to normandy on the 70th and film you lot, andrew

email (option): warbikes@gmail.com

Hi Kit,

The Denison smock you own is a second pattern Denison smock. They started to wear these from november 1944 untill somewhere 1948. The firts pattern had the knitted wool cuffs. There's only one picture of 6th AB division in Normandy where a private is wearing a sort of prototype second pattern smock. The only difference is that this smock has the handpainted camouflage as used on the very first issue Denison smocks in 1942.
If you watch carefully all the "Arnhem" pictures. You will notice they all have the wool knitted cuffs. If you look at pics of Operation "Varsity" in 1945, there are lots of men wearing the second pattern Denisons.
In 1945 the produced the movie "Theirs is the Glory". It was filmed in the Arnhem/Oosterbeek Area. You can see second pattern smocks here in the parts that were shot in 1945. After the movie some of the material was left behind and was believed to be as left behind in 1944.

So your smock could be owned by an Arnhem Veteran, but this Denison was probably issued to him after he returned from Arnhem and everybody was equiped with new clothing. Or the wool knitted cuffs have been eaten by the moth. If your smock has two press studs at the back ,to hold the tailpiece in place, it's a second pattern smock.

Regards,

Ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

Hi folks

As I intend to go to Arnhem next year I found a link to a movie shot in the area in 1946 during my googling

http://archive.org/details/TheirsIsTheGlory1946

Theirs is the Glory is by no means a Hollywood production but features real veterans of the battle, real streets of Arnhem/Oosterbeek & real operational Panther & Tiger tanks

Hope it works for you

Job

email (option): Jonnyob1@googlemail.com

There is a new book on Denison smocks coming out soon.

Arnhem is a bit complicated because there was another battle there in 1945, so when you watch "Theirs is the Glory" some of the damage, tanks ect could date from then?

Rob

email (option): robmiller11@yahoo.co.uk

Hi there,

I was born in Oosterbeek in the early sixties and have lived here ever since. Most of the damage in Oosterbeek was caused after the battle. All the civilians were evacuated from the area after the battle and all villages alongside the river Rhine, from Arnhem to Wageningen were frontline now. With the allied troops on the south side and the Germans on the north side of the river, the allied forces caused very great damage to the villages, in effort to confuse the enemy, on the north side during the winter of 1944/1945 untill april 1945.
When the Polar Bear division entered Oosterbeek in April 1945 it was all abandonned. No civilians, very less Germans and a lot of damage. The Germans took all doors from the houses in Arnhem and Oosterbeek to reenforce their slit trenches from Arnhem to Wageningen.

On the scene of this debris they filmed "Theirs is the Glory".

The Oosterbeek area is still a very interesting area if you like wartime history, so it's worth a try to come over and visit Arnhem/ Oosterbeek during the remembrance days next year or 2014.

Regards,

Ramon

email (option): noahlevi6@hotmail.com

I think Sgt. Smith turned his belt around so that he could reach his sidearm.

email (option): jrosson86@att.net

Nieuwe pagina 1