Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
WM20 in the film "The Master".

A 2012 film "The Master" features a WM20, it's disguised as a Norton by adding a Norton tank & a couple of extra fork springs.
here's some stills.

Re: WM20 in the film "The Master".

That seems a very odd thing to do? Why would you disguise a BSA as a Norton?

Perhaps they wanted a Norton that wouldn't break down in the desert!!

Only joshing Rik/Horror/Kostas/Rob

email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

Ron Pier
Perhaps they wanted a Norton that wouldn't break down in the desert!!

Only joshing Rik/Horror/Kostas/Rob

What am I missing there Ron? I dont see any reference to a joke

email (option): cruiserchooser AT hotmail.co.uk

I suppose the BSA is much more common and expendable than a Norton?

I knew this post was going to end in a slanging match, only to be expected from those with inferior machines

It goes to show, BSA owners really want a Norton. I would be embarrassed to have BSA on my tank too

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

Gents,

Maybe the actors could not handle a real motorcycle with racing ancestry!

Or the producers were afraid to have the actors crash a really valuable motorcycle?

Or maybe they could not afford one because Nortons nowadays all seem to have Brough Superior gearboxes which cost a fortune thus eceeding the film budget!

We can go on for ages I guess.

I do wonder how they fixed the additional fork springs!

Cheers,

Rob

email (option): wd16h@telfort.nl

One thing is for sure, it's nice to see the actors actually riding a motorcycle in a film instead of being towed around on a trailer!

All joking aside, it is a really odd think to do. I haven't seen the film, or know who or what it's about but the only reason you'd disguise a BSA as a Norton is if it is crucial to the story line or historic accuracy. Like Che Guevara on a Norton in the Motorcycle diaries.

email (option): horror@blueyonder.co.uk

The film is about L Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology.
The scene called for a Norton 16H & they tend to use one main props supplier so maybe they only had an M20 & hastily put the Norton parts on it at short notice.
Springs look to me like they are bolted to the headlamp mounts at the top & made up brackets lower down & maybe not "active".
Recently i saw a terrible example of fakery in "Knight & Day" where Tom cruise (also a Scientology fan) rides a 1000cc Ducati & lots of the shots are him on a heavily disguised 500cc aprilla with "Ducati styling".

Hubbard was a bike enthusiast & evidently rode the 16H but he also actually did own & ride a BSA pictured :-)

I suppose it's one way of getting a reasonable number of 'Nortons' to Normandy... ....Ian

email (option): ian@wright52.plus.com

I went see this film yesterday. There is not much bike /WM20 content, but I enjoyed it and think a quiet a few on this forum will make some sort of identification with the main character Freddie Quell

email (option): Gasboy@btinternet.com

Nieuwe pagina 1