Questions? Looking for parts? Parts for sale? or just for a chat,

The WD Motorcycle forum

WD Motorcycle forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Frame alignment

Now that I have a good war-type rear frame, repaired some egg-shaped holes and inserted Helicoils in damaged threads, I have to fit it to the front frame.
I clamped two angle irons along the front frame, Frame alignment 1

and using Robb's famous jig, I found that the rear frame is some 4mm off centreline.
Frame alignment 2I have no means to bend the rear frame to correct this, so my question is: is this too much, or can I correct this by modifying the offset of the rear wheel

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Re: Frame alignment

I may be out of line (sorry! ) but I think that without the engine and gearbox the frame may not be rigid enough as it is to measure what it will be like later..not well expressed but then I've just got my first beer after 12 hours fighting a Triton in the shed.. I would fit an empty crank case and gearbox shell and see if they pull the lot back into line. Can't see if you have one but don't forget to add a spacer to compensate for the missing chain guard. (chainstay spacer 7/32" I think??)
Photobucket

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hoi Hans,

I would go for the correct alignment then your chainline is also correct. If you take the rearframe apart it can quite easily be bent in a large vice by someone with a strong back. Just take time to find out where to bend.

But maybe no need for bending if you forgot to add the brake arm/chain stay (nice spotted Pete !!)

Good luck, Michiel

email (option): m.wijbenga@hotmail.com

Yes Michiel and Pete, those washers made a difference; now only 3mm off
At the moment engine and gearbox are spread out on the bench, and I have to prepare the rear frame for powder-coating, and that includes repairing the rear stand that was really busted. So I had welds added on the critical bearing points and file/grind to get a perfect fit

email (option): viaconsu [at] planet [dot] nl

Hi Hans

If you have the gearbox and engine dismantled then it should be relatively easy to try installing the empty crank cases and just the main gearbox shell. All nice and light without those pesky innards. Give it a go, you may save having to bend anything…

I have the same problem with my rear end, only someone has already had a go at welding, and the rear fork where the wheel fits is out of line. I’m still pondering how best to go at this problem. Or has anyone out there got a decent rigid rear end they could part with??

Cheers
Pete

email (option): petercomley@web.de

Hey Mate!!!

I have a nice chapter on that which you helped me write. Find a friendly tree an 8 foot bar, a helper and work away. It's quite simple really if you wedge the front of the frame into a crotch of the tree.

I use an arrow to make a centerline to the gage I designed.

Do get a helper though!

Cheers

email (option): britool51@hotmail.com

Hi Hans,
it should be the centre of your rear rim that should align with the centre of your ange-irons.
I think you better put in your rear wheel (compleet)to check that

Go Robb's way and find a tree and a long pipe,they bend quite easy,Iam glad i did mine.
Cheers Drew

Nieuwe pagina 1